Hi all,

Our M-17 "Star Cross'd" #357, has the cockpit scuppers that exit below 
the waterline.  The water exits from the cockpit sole into the aft 
lazerette, where it then drains into two holes, connected by flexible 
tubing, to the actual drains.  I think I remember reading that Jerry M. 
said they were copper tubes bonded into the hull.

Now that I'm a saltwater sailor, I'm paying more attention to this 
stuff, about keeping the people in and the water out, since the ocean is 
  vaster, deeper, rougher, and saltier than the inland lakes I started on.

Has anybody ever inspected these thru-hulls and found evidence of 
corrosion?  How safe are they, and how often should I inspect them?  And 
if or when they do get corroded, what can I do to fix it?  Copper is 
supposed to be a noble metal, but I think it suffers from saltwater 
corrosion just the same.

<Whine on> If they were proper bronze or nylon thru-hulls, with 
inspectable and repairable seacocks, I'd probably feel a little better. 
  As it is now, once the connecting hose from the locker to the 
thru-hull is in place, all the pipes are invisible.  My biggest worry is 
that I'll be rummaging about under the cockpit, shoving gear around 
(oars, inflatable, spin pole, anchors, etc), and accidentally shove too 
hard on the hose/pipe assembly and crack it without realizing. <Whine off>

As an aside, it just shows that you never stop learning about your boat. 
  When we bought Star Cross'd, there were two little corks floating 
around the starboard gear locker, and I was never sure what they were 
for.  I am now.  I was out sailing in Santa Monica Bay, and opened up 
the aft lazarette.  There was about 2-3 inches of water sloshing around 
in there, with the metal gas can getting a salty bath. And since when 
you're motoring, the vent hole is open on the gas can, in rough seas 
there's the opportunity for water to get into the gas.  Apparently, the 
bottom of the aft locker is also below waterline.  Duh, now the purpose 
of the corks becomes clear.  I'll use the corks to plug the locker 
exits, to keep the sea out of the aft lazarette.  I'll rig a quick 
release string so that if we take on water either going to weather or 
from rain or get pooped going downwind, I'll just pop the corks out and 
let it drain.

Regards,
John Fleming
M-17: "Star Cross'd"


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to