I also get water coming in through pendant hole when sailing hard in chop.

cheers-
Shawn Boles
Grey Mist (M17 #276 1978)


-----Original Message-----
From: Dan White [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 9:56 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: M_Boats: Bilge water -- was M17 Keel/Centerboard

Todd,

Is it at all possible that the water in the bilge is coming in through the
pendant?  I always collect a little water in
the bilge and it is from busting waves.  I can see little squirts come up
through the hole in the trunk that the pendant
feeds through,  After a day's sail, I have to bail several gallons.

Dan

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> Howard,
>
> Last year whilst crawling underneath Busca I noted a gap in a few spots
between the
> exterior hull and the fabrication that forms the centerboard trunk:
> ___         ___
>       |  |  |  |
>       |  |  |  |
>       |_|  |_|
>         ^
>
> I mixed up some epoxy with colloidal silica filler and putty-knifed it in
as best I could.
> I'm pretty sure that I have that sealed if indeed it was a source of
ingress.
>
> For some reason, Busca isn't bone dry.  A small amount of water collects
in the bilge
> and in the little valleys in the faux lapstrakes.   This past trip was
about half or less of
> what I would normally have picked up and I think the difference was from
re-doing the
> bottom transom gudgeon.  There were little watermarks below the three
bolts and I'm
> pretty sure I have that sealed up good now.  I thought perhaps some of it
could be coming
> from the fresh-water porta-pot tank because it is vented, but this time I
tilted the porta-pot
> about 45* before putting it on the boat to drain off any water that would
have leaked.  Some
> could have also been coming from my water jugs on prior trips, but not
this time.  That leaves
> the through-hulls or maybe (?) the centerboard pinhole?  The centerboard
pin is a very
> tight fit, but I am not sure if water could be leaking past it, either
from inside the well or outside
> to the inside of the keel.  I don't know what is in there.  I assume
(perhaps Jerry could comment
> on this) that there is at least a partial void between the hull and the
cabin sole and that if water
> could migrate up the keel through the ballast it could collect between the
sole and the hull?
>
> I do have an extra through-hull for a speedo but I'm going to pull that
and plug it.  I'm running
> out of ideas on where that water could be coming from.  I haven't tasted
it (seems like a good
> opportunity to get sick) to see if it's saltwater or fresh.
>
> Tod Mills
> M17 #408
> "BuscaBrisas"....................fiberglass/lead board, galley model
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to