Bob:
I can relate to your story since my previous boat was a Nonsuch 30 and I now
happily own a Montgomery 17. I owned the Nonsuch for 3 years and figured out
it cost me about $10,000 for slip expenses, maintenance, insurance, etc.
While I don't regret the experience, I could have chartered a big boat twice
a year and still come out ahead.

I was also glad to hear you changed your mind about selling Alina. 
Maria

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Campbell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 5:46 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: M_Boats: Mongomery sailboats: the irresistable conversation
piece


John,

It's definitely a trend.  I can't recall the last time I was at a ramp
and didn't have someone come up and admire my 17.  In fact, I'm always
suspicious of the person who says he/she can set up and launch their M17
in 45 minutes.  They are obviously adjusting for "show and tell" time.
I generally allow 30 minutes for that alone!

Last month at the SCA Cruiser Challenge in Monterey, I was setting up
Alina while a good friend was setting up his Catalina 16. He is very
organized and I was trying to see if I could keep up with him so we
could launch at the same time.  Alas, a gentleman comes up and begins to
inspect Alina. He was absolutely smitten by her and the questions and
complements began to flow.  As he walked away, having never even
acknowledged the presence of the Catalina, my friend quips, "My boat's
cute too!"  Of course, now my friend has taken a commanding lead and is
able to take a break while I finish setting up.  Oh the disadvantages of
owning a Montgomery! 

I agree with your theory on wistful big boat owners who upon seeing a
Montgomery realize that they are spending gobs of money and missing out
on the real joy of sailing.  At the Chevy's restaurant guest dock in
Alameda, I had a retired gentleman who owns a Nonsuch 30 give me his
email address, instructing me to contact him if I ever had thoughts of
parting with my beloved Alina.  I empathize with big boat owners and
can't say that I'm immune to the seduction of big boats either.  This
past spring I was bitten by the big boat bug, but came to my senses just
in the nick of time.  

Lyle Hess has left us with a very special boat indeed. My respect,
admiration, and appreciation for him and his boat grow deeper with every
sail.

Fair winds,

Bob Campbell  
Montgomery 17 #615 "Alina"
Lodi, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of John
Fleming
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 12:46 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: M_Boats: Mongomery sailboats: the irresistable conversation
piece

Well, it's happened twice now, so it's not a real trend yet, but it 
definitely is something.  I've recently started sailing out of Marina 
del Ray in Los Angeles.  At the end of the day, when the boat is back on

the trailer and I run it over to the fresh water for a washdown, people 
come running over to ask what kind of boat it is, it looks very salty, 
it looks very nice, it looks very big and roomy for a 17-footer, I've 
never seen one like it before, etc etc etc.  The kids are running wild, 
I'm racing the sunset to get everything buttoned up and put away, and 
they all want to stand around and talk about the Montgomerys and ply me 
with compliments and sort of get that puppy-dog look in their eyes, 
wishing they could be invited aboard and take a look around.  They walk 
right by all the big cool racing trimarans and other trailer sailers 
without a word or glance and stop at my boat.  There must be something 
friendly and inviting about a Montgomery.  One guy today asked "Is that 
a Nor'Sea?" as an introduction!  I had to explain the whole heritage 
thing, Lyle Hess and his English workboats, the Nor'Sea was designed 
first, and then came the Montgomery's.

The pleasant hazards of owning a Montgomery.  Hopefully, once I go there

enough, I'll have exhausted the supply of closet Montgomery lovers. 
Maybe it's just Marina del Ray, so jaded by big-money boats that a view 
of a Montgomery with young kids running around and having fun takes them

back to what sailing's all about.  Shackled to their big money pits, 
they realize you can have just as much fun, maybe more, without 
exhausting your bank account.  "God boys, we wish we were you".

Other than that ...

It was a good day for sailing.  Yesterday was thick and chilly fog all 
along the coast.  About 9PM last night, a warm wind blew in, chased all 
the fog away, and today was pleasant, sunny, and cloudless.  The 
Admiral's away, but the kids want to do something, so let's go sailing. 
  My 12-yr old son did a good job of helming in and out of the Marina, 
and out on the ocean when he felt like it.  The ocean was relatively 
calm today, not like some other days, no short-period chop and waves 
from two directions to make every point of sail a roller-coaster.

Even with my blown (I think) mainsail, Star Cross'd can point.  Today 
was a good example of what a Montgomery can do.  The higher I pointed, 
the faster I went.  She'd heel over and just rocket away, faster (by my 
uncalibrated knotmeter) than the 4HP engine can push in calm water. 
When the kids got tired of too much time spent pinned against the lee 
cabin sides, I'd just de-power to a broad or beam reach and we'd drop 
about a knot and just keep on cruising.  One close-hauled point of sail 
was directly into the waves, so we did a little up and down pounding but

just cut through.  The other was cross to the waves, so we'd just roll 
with it, and occasionally the wind and waves would gang up and push us 
over further than I cared.  But I never felt out of control.  It wasn't 
anything more than the normal 10 knot afternoon breeze we get here every

day.

Star Cross'd must still be out of rig, though.  I would only get good 
weather helm once we started pointing high.  On a beam reach, it'd be 
lee helm.  I guess I need more mast rake.

Not many more weekend like this before El Nino hits bringing 
sub-tropical deluges, the jet stream shifts south connecting us with the

North Pacific gales that bring the big northwest waves and too-cool 
weather to Santa Monica Bay.  I very much doubt I can get the whole 
family out on days like that.  They say that December and January are 
the only bad months here for sailing.  We'll see.

Happy sailing,
John Fleming
M-17:  "Star Cross'd"


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to