In a message dated 10/6/02 9:44:43 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Yesterday, I hauled my M15 out of the water to put it to bed for the
year.

As it came out of the water, with the mast up, an overzealous friend
driving my car wanted to be helpful and instead of just parking the rig,
started driving it around the corner to the Marina. >>

Connie,
Back in 1998, I did almost exactly the same thing to Bert Felton's M15 mast.  
We were traveling in tandem, and were returning to Lund, British Columbia 
after a week of cruising in Desolation Sound and environs.  I became the 
'designated backer' during this trip, and was responsible for maneuvering 
both our trucks and boats when the going was tight.

Anyway, we were trying to outrun an approaching rainstorm, and as such, were 
in a hurry to stow gear and break down the boat before things got wet.  I 
pulled Bert's boat up the ramp. An SUV pulled in and took the parking space I 
was obviously heading for. The ensuing anger further clouded my already tired 
reasoning, and I decided to back up the road to a clearing out of the way of 
ramp and tourist traffic.  Looking aft through the rear window of his camper 
shell, I could not see any obstructions.  There was, of course, a low slung 
power line right across the road.  All I remember was a sickening thud as the 
boat lifted itself and then crashed back down to the trailer.  I fully 
expected to find the boat torn to pieces from the force of impact.  
Thankfully, there was no damage other than a badly kinked mast (and a very 
badly bruised ego).  The little boats are indeed very tough!  Bert--gracious 
as always--made some joke about his new performance mast.  I, of course, felt 
absolutely terrible.  We wedged it between some logs in the parking lot in an 
attempt to straighten it.  We were able to get it to the point where it could 
be stowed in the mast carrier, but it was not pretty.

So, upon our return to California (I got to follow the now crooked mast all 
the way home as a reminder of my stupidity), I bought Bert a new Dwyer m
ast/masthead.  I cannot remember the exact mast extrusion number, but Bert 
might be able to remember/dig out the information.  I do remember that we had 
to make some minor modifications to make it all work, but when all was said 
and done, the boat was as good as new (I can't say the same for my ego).

Let me know if I can be of further help.  I am sure you will be up and 
running soon!

Scott Grometer, M15 #478 'bebe'

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to