Brian, I had read (perhaps it was your earlier email ?) about using 
wire ties but I didn't want to unsolder the running and anchor light 
connections and the thoroughly doped VHF antenna connector and extract 
both sets of wires each through it's own grommeted and already doped 
right angle exit mast holes.  In hindsight, the pvc pipe was probably 
unnecessary.  The pipe insulators alone would have been quite enough - 
and added their limited buoyancy too.

Larry's idea of using "peanuts" sounds like a good one too - so, when I 
bend my mast and have to get a new one, that's what I'll probably do.

By the way, if anyone is struggling with how to get a limp wire 
allllllllll the way up the length of the mast AND pull it through a 
very small hole at the top, try feeding a length of plastic coated wire 
clothes line down from the exit hole to the base of the mast and 
securing the wire to it with tightly wrapped packaging tape (it feeds 
through the small exit hole easier than electrical tape would and 
requires less thickness but furnishes good holding power).  It works 
best to have someone feed the wire up as a you extract the "clothes 
line" and work the wire through the hole.

I was reluctant to pop the rivets holding the pulley on the mast head 
but when it is time to configure a new mast, I hope I'll remember to do 
the wiring before I fasten the crown - and perhaps even bolt the crown 
rather than rivet it so that future repairs will not be necessary 
(since easy access will have been provided).

Stan.
M-15, #177, Carol II
  


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to