Hi All,
Here is the information on the "knock down" I experienced in my
M15 on August 26, 2002 (not Fall as I stated).
1. My hull number is 241.
2. I was close hauled on a port beat.
3. Two of us were on board. My crew of 1 was about 300+/- lb.. He said
" I will go forward and prepare to lower the jib." While he was standing
on the forward deck, the gust of wind hit, causing the boat to
lurch over on a port heel. He lost his balance and grabbed the bow
pulpit, but he was not able to hold himself onboard. I was sitting on
the starboard stern rail with my hand on the tiller extension. The boat
tipped over so rapidly on its port side, that it threw us both
in the water. The seat locker on the starboard side of the cockpit
suddenly opened, dumping its contents in the water which now had risen
over the port gunwale and the port seat locker door flipped open
and rested against the port gunwale. I believe the knock down without
recovery was primarily caused by the weight and momentum of the crew
falling on the on the forward deck which was caused by the sudden
lurch to port, while he was grabbing the bow pulpit and teak rail on the
port gunwale..
4. While swimming in the water, I released the sheets, and my crew
swam to the keel which was out of the water. The center board had
retracted into the pocket keel, so he grabbed the keel and lifted
himself out of the water. This caused the boat to right itself.
I would definitely install hatches on the seat lockers and place
all tools etc. in a waterproof floatable vinyl bag.
I hope you find my experience instructive. If nothing else, I have
learned that all crew must stay put until we are about to come about,
then they may proceed forward to lower the jib.
Murray.
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
- Re: M_Boats: M 15 Knock Down murray
- Re: M_Boats: M 15 Knock Down Howard Audsley
- M_Boats: M 15 Knock Down murray
