Perhaps I'll drop them a line.  I met Gerry (Jerry?) Powlas at Strictly Sail Chicago 
this past winter . . . I
plugged the M17:  He said, "Yeah, I understand it's a 'cult' boat."  He seems like a 
standup guy . . .

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry Montgomery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2003 12:08 PM
Subject: Okay, Now I'm Really, REALLY Confused . . .

No, No, No!  This is indeed a typo- I designed the 15, NOT the 17.  I hope
that this is their mistake and not mine, but who knows.

Jerry

----- Original Message -----
From: "Honshells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2003 7:07 PM
Subject: Okay, Now I'm Really, REALLY Confused . . .

On page 91 of the July/August 2003 issue of "Good Old Boat":

Jerry Montgomery writes
Your May 2003 issue stated that Lyle Hess designed the Montgomery 15 as
well as the 17 and 23.  In a way he
did, because I learned most of what I know about design from Lyle, but I
designed the 17 myself.  The fact
that I did was not a reflection on Lyle; it was simply a matter of wanting
to try my wings.  Lyle was happy
with the 15, as was I, and he told me that the 15 was "the best looking
boat I made."  I remember disagreeing
with him because I believed (and still do) that the Hess-designed
Montgomery 12 was the best-looking of the
bunch.

Okay . . . Sentence two HAS to be yet ANOTHER "Good Old Boat" typo.  They
can't seem to get the details right
on things Montgomery:  Almost every one of Ted Brewer's M17 comparison
specs on page 49 are wrong.  Ted, or
"G.O.B.", uses a drawing of the M23 to illustrate the M17.
Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggghhhhh . . .

Bob, Are you familiar with NS27, "Evergreen"?  She sails out of Lake
Macatawa, Holland, Michigan, where I sail
my M17.  I took several photos of her on Lake Michigan a couple weeks ago.
She's a "forward cabin" (or whatever
you call the version with no aft cabin) model:  Do you still make "forward
cabin" NS27's?  This one looked
new-ish, but may just be kept in Bristol condition.  She was single-handed
by a mature gentleman, but we never
sailed close enough to talk and I didn't have my radio installed.  I don't
think he recognized, or cared
about, the make of my boat.





_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to