Sorry to hear about the pivot pin trouble. It might also be possible to put a new pin in and then use Bondo™ over both ends to keep it in place; either that or fiberglass it in.
--Gary Hyde
M15 #235 'Vanilla'
On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 11:04 PM, Vincent Himsl wrote:
Hello,
After a beautiful weekend with the West-Wight Potters on Pend Oreille Lake,
Idaho and a beautiful sunset sail on Coeur D'Alene Lake, again in Idaho...I
came home to find the Center Board Pivot Pin had worked its way almost
completely out.
Fortunately, the trailer caught the center board. Prior to this I would as
a standard pre trip check list item gently tap the pin back into place with
a rubber mallet. This time I forgot.
Deciding that a permanent fix is in order, I checked the archives and found
the procedure that recommends shorting the steel pivot pin and then using
epoxy to plug both sides to keep it from drifting. I trimmed about 3/8" from
the bolt and after reinserting it, decided that there was not enough meat on
the sides to hold it up. So, before I order a new pin...
My question is why can I not use a bolt, washers, and nut (with a nylon
insert similar to AN type aviation hardware)? Aside from looking a little
tacky on the trailer, I find no reason for not going this route. Yes there
is probably some miniscule amount of induced drag, but that is mainly a
concern of the racers and the obsessed.
Oh for future reference, the diameter of the pin on my M-15 (built 2001) is
.369 inches which is pretty close to 3/8 inches (.375)
Thanks, Vince and Sharon Himsl M-15 DUET
_______________________________________________ http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
_______________________________________________ http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
