Gary:
Sweet Dream has the new telescoping ladder that Bob is installing and it
works great.
I use it when going aboard from the street and it handles my 190 lbs well. I
haven't tried it in the water but it should be fine.
Doug: I've done the jiffy reefing thing once and it seems to be simple.
I also took her out on her maiden voyage Sunday with my 15 year old
granddaughter at the helm. She tacks like a dream in light airs, points well
( once I remembered to slack the topping lift) and heaves to with no
problem. I didn't do the sail backwards exercise since we were dodging
thunderstorms in the bay. By the way, the new Bimini top is great!
Don Ludlow
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 10:51 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 6, Issue 3
Send montgomery_boats mailing list submissions to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
You can reach the person managing the list at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of montgomery_boats digest..."
Today's Topics:
1. Re: Where to next (Stanley Winarski)
2. Re: Where to next ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
3. Re: Where to next (Jesse Tate)
4. Re: New M-15 Sweet Dream (GaryM.Hyde)
5. streamer (Richard Cottrell)
6. Re: New M-15 -boarding ladder (Doug Kelch)
7. Bow Chocks (Honshells)
8. 4-Horse 4-Stroke / M17 Kick-Up Rudder (Honshells)
9. 4-Horse 4-Stroke / M17 Kick-Up Rudder . . . Edit . . . (Honshells)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message: 1
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:49:20 -0400
From: Stanley Winarski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Where to next
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
John,
Put some dates and locations in your message - We'll be traveling cross
country on the Northern route starting in early Sep. Would be great if
we could meet somewhere enroute.
Stan & Carol
------------------------------
Message: 2
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 12:30:15 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Where to next
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Here are the locations and dates for the rest of the trip. The closest
dates
are the most accurate.
August 2-9 San Juan Islands Starting from Sand Point WA
August 12 -15 Helena Mt. Canyon Ferry Reservoir
August 23 -26 Apostle Islands, Bayfield Wisconsin
August 28 -Sept 4 - North Channel Lake Huron, Spanish
September 6 - 15 Southwest Harbor
September 17 - 26 Mystic CN
September 28 - Oct 4 with my family in NJ
October 6 - 12 - Chesapeake (and the Annapolis Boat show)
Mid-October, Pamlico Sound NC (probably near Oriental)
Late October, Home
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/private/montgomery_boats/attachm
ents/20030802/be75a9c1/attachment-0001.html
------------------------------
Message: 3
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 12:38:45 -0500
From: "Jesse Tate" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Where to next
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
John,
I 2nd Stan and Carol's suggestion about dates. I may join you on the
Pamlico if I can work it out so keep us posted.
Thanks,
Jesse
M 15 #343
Carolyn J
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stanley Winarski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Where to next
> John,
>
> Put some dates and locations in your message - We'll be traveling cross
> country on the Northern route starting in early Sep. Would be great if
> we could meet somewhere enroute.
>
> Stan & Carol
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
------------------------------
Message: 4
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 11:31:07 -0700
From: Gary M. Hyde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: New M-15 Sweet Dream
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
Doug:
What permanently mounted ladder do you recommend?
--Gary Hyde
M15 #235 'Vanilla'
On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 02:03 PM, Doug Kelch wrote:
> Don,
>
> Congratulations on Sweet Dream! The M15 fits your
> criteria to a tee. Your criteria are the same reason
> I am able to subdue the bigger boat fever when it
> comes.
>
> Three primary things I would recommend.
>
> 1. Get a permanently mounted boarding ladder.
> The high freeboard in the M15 makes it very
> difficult to get into from the water or the beach. I
> am sure you will get the urge to walk along those
> beautiful beaches in your area. Rope ladders do not
> work.
> Permanently mounted for that day when a large
> fish pulls you off balance and you fall in
> unexpectedly. The permanent ladder is an essential
> safety feature.
>
> 2. Learn how to "heave to". The M15 will foot along
> forever when you heave to properly and you can take
> care of personal needs, make a lunch, change a lure,
> fight the the fish etc with out a worry and all hands
> free.
> To heave to, swing the boat hard on the wind (45
> deg to true wind). Execute a slow tack without
> freeing the jib or the main (don't touch the sheets).
> Don't complete the full 90 deg tack until most of the
> speed is off of the boat. Slowly start to tack back
> the other way (don't touch the sheets) and you should
> find that the boat will stall (not complete the
> tack)with the tiller to leeward. Tie the tiller off to
> leeward. The jib should be backwinded at this point,
> the main sheeted in near the centerline and the tiller
> tied to Leeward. Observe the hands free movement of
> the boat and then go about your business.
>
> 3. Install jiffy reefing and learn how to use it. I
> tried reefing hooks at the tack but they jambed
> between the boom and the mast because they are too
> big.
>
> Welcome aboard!
>
> Doug Kelch
> M15 #310 "Seas the Day"
> --- "Ludlow, Don" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi:
>> I just took delivery of a 2003 model M-15 # 620
>> named Sweet Dream.
> .
> .
>
>> I plan to sail the 40 mile long Mobile Bay and in
>> Mississippi sound and
>> around the barrier islands in the Gulf of Mexico.
> .
> .
>> clear water and white sand beaches.
> ..With the
>> addition of a rod holder, I plan to do some offshore
>> trolling also (Fishing
>> is great here).
>> Any rigging and handling suggestions would be
>> appreciated
>> Fair Winds
>> Don Ludlow
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>>
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>
>
> __________________________________
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
> http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>
>
------------------------------
Message: 5
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 18:15:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: streamer
To: Montgomery Boats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Tod:
Just want to thank you for the streamer which flies atop "Really's" mast.
One of the few times I neglected to attach it was the day of the knockdown.
Just return from a couple days sailing with streamer flying proud, without
incident.
Rich Cottrell M15
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/private/montgomery_boats/attachm
ents/20030803/385fba66/attachment-0001.html
------------------------------
Message: 6
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 18:33:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Doug Kelch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: New M-15 -boarding ladder
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Gary,
The one I used is no longer available. Bob Eeg is
Seems to be using one of the newer telescoping models.
Maybee he will hop in and let us know what he is
using.
Doug
M15 #310 "Seas the Day"
--- "Gary M. Hyde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Doug:
> What permanently mounted ladder do you recommend?
> --Gary Hyde
> M15 #235 'Vanilla'
>
> On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 02:03 PM, Doug Kelch
> wrote:
>
> > Don,
> >
> > Congratulations on Sweet Dream! The M15 fits your
> > criteria to a tee. Your criteria are the same
> reason
> > I am able to subdue the bigger boat fever when it
> > comes.
> >
> > Three primary things I would recommend.
> >
> > 1. Get a permanently mounted boarding ladder.
> > The high freeboard in the M15 makes it very
> > difficult to get into from the water or the beach.
> I
> > am sure you will get the urge to walk along those
> > beautiful beaches in your area. Rope ladders do
> not
> > work.
> > Permanently mounted for that day when a large
> > fish pulls you off balance and you fall in
> > unexpectedly. The permanent ladder is an
> essential
> > safety feature.
> >
> > 2. Learn how to "heave to". The M15 will foot
> along
> > forever when you heave to properly and you can
> take
> > care of personal needs, make a lunch, change a
> lure,
> > fight the the fish etc with out a worry and all
> hands
> > free.
> > To heave to, swing the boat hard on the wind
> (45
> > deg to true wind). Execute a slow tack without
> > freeing the jib or the main (don't touch the
> sheets).
> > Don't complete the full 90 deg tack until most of
> the
> > speed is off of the boat. Slowly start to tack
> back
> > the other way (don't touch the sheets) and you
> should
> > find that the boat will stall (not complete the
> > tack)with the tiller to leeward. Tie the tiller
> off to
> > leeward. The jib should be backwinded at this
> point,
> > the main sheeted in near the centerline and the
> tiller
> > tied to Leeward. Observe the hands free movement
> of
> > the boat and then go about your business.
> >
> > 3. Install jiffy reefing and learn how to use it.
> I
> > tried reefing hooks at the tack but they jambed
> > between the boom and the mast because they are too
> > big.
> >
> > Welcome aboard!
> >
> > Doug Kelch
> > M15 #310 "Seas the Day"
> > --- "Ludlow, Don" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Hi:
> >> I just took delivery of a 2003 model M-15 # 620
> >> named Sweet Dream.
> > .
> > .
> >
> >> I plan to sail the 40 mile long Mobile Bay and in
> >> Mississippi sound and
> >> around the barrier islands in the Gulf of Mexico.
> > .
> > .
> >> clear water and white sand beaches.
> > ..With the
> >> addition of a rod holder, I plan to do some
> offshore
> >> trolling also (Fishing
> >> is great here).
> >> Any rigging and handling suggestions would be
> >> appreciated
> >> Fair Winds
> >> Don Ludlow
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >>
> >
>
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> >
> >
> > __________________________________
> > Do you Yahoo!?
> > Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site
> design software
> > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> >
>
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> >
> >
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
------------------------------
Message: 7
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 23:02:56 -0400
From: "Honshells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: Bow Chocks
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
How long are the bow chocks on Busca, Tod? Six inches? Thanks, Craig
------------------------------
Message: 8
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 23:49:25 -0400
From: "Honshells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: 4-Horse 4-Stroke / M17 Kick-Up Rudder
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To Those Who Wanted to Know How I Like My Nissan 4-Horse 4-Stroke:
This Spring a few people asked me how I liked my Nissan (Tohatsu/Mercury)
4-horse 4-stroke. I didn't get my
M17 in the water until the last weekend in June, so as I write this, my
outboard has fewer than the
recommended 10 break-in hours, but I guess I can render an opinion.
The only other outboard with which I have experience is the '84 Suzuki
4-horse 2-stroke that was included when
I purchased my '84 M17. The Suzuki was difficult to start, very loud, very
rough, very "smelly", and had a
tendency to try to cavitate out of the water whenever I tried to put it in
reverse.
The Nissan is relatively easy to start. It has forward/neutral/reverse and
goes into gear smoothly. It seems
to produce virtually no fumes once the choke is reinserted after startup.
The motor is not as quiet or smooth
as I'd like, although it seems to improve every time it's run. Compared to
the Suzuki 2-stroke, the Nissan is
silent and vibration-free. Bear in mind, I despise internal-combustion
engines, consider them a necessary
evil, and prefer to use my Minn Kota electric trolling motor. I know that,
with the Nissan, I can sit inches
away from the motor while talking to crew in a normal tone of voice and
avoiding asphyxiation, so that's about
as much as I'd hoped from the 4-stroke. I don't really have an opinion on
fuel ecomony, other than that the
Nissan 4-horse's internal tank seems to run dry faster than I would have
expected, however, my expectations
were probably unrealistic. My motor has an optional connection for an
external tank, which I would probably
use for extended cruising, but have no such plans this season. I also added
the optional alternator, but
haven't used that, either. I also have plenty of power. I think I'm close
to hull speed at slightly less
than half-throttle, which is where I've kept the motor for proper break-in,
except for my last outing when an
accidental grounding forced me to throttle high in forward and reverse. I
sail Lake Michigan, where I don't
really deal with strong currents or tides, but my hunch is that, even if I
HAD strong currents and tides, 4
horses would provide plenty of power to handle them. I'm incredulous that
anyone would need 6 or more horses
for an M17, but I'm also inexperienced, so my opinion doesn't count for
much.
Where I store my boat, mast-up, my neighbors all have Honda 4-strokes that
look prettier, sleeker (external
tanks) and lighter than my Nissan, but they were also probably substantially
more expensive. So far, I'm
happy with my purchase, and would recommend it over any other 2-stroke, but
can't compare it against other
manufacturers' 4-strokes.
Please understand that my personal experience with the Suzuki 4-horse
2-stroke is probably not typical: I'm
mechanically inept and I had an old motor that had been used in saltwater.
I can definitely appreciate that
the old Suzuki weighed less!
So, for what it's worth, with less than 10 hours on my Nissan, I'd buy it
again, but ask me again in two
years.
p.s. To those of you you have asked me about my M17 kick-up rudder: I am
very happy with it and feel any
difference from the stock rudder when the blade is down. However, I had to
add an "eye" to the skeg through
which I could run a rope ("uphaul"?) to keep the blade down. The eye was
added in 'glass by a local boat
repairman and looks factory original: I'll send a pic of it to Doug to post
with the other photos of my
rudder on the MSOG site. The "eye" works brilliantly.
------------------------------
Message: 9
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 23:54:25 -0400
From: "Honshells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: 4-Horse 4-Stroke / M17 Kick-Up Rudder . . . Edit . .
.
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To Those Who Wanted to Know How I Like My Nissan 4-Horse 4-Stroke:
This Spring a few people asked me how I liked my Nissan (Tohatsu/Mercury)
4-horse 4-stroke. I didn't get my
M17 in the water until the last weekend in June, so as I write this, my
outboard has fewer than the
recommended 10 break-in hours, but I guess I can render an opinion.
The only other outboard with which I have experience is the '84 Suzuki
4-horse 2-stroke that was included when
I purchased my '84 M17. The Suzuki was difficult to start, very loud, very
rough, very "smelly", and had a
tendency to try to cavitate out of the water whenever I tried to put it in
reverse.
The Nissan is relatively easy to start. It has forward/neutral/reverse and
goes into gear smoothly. It seems
to produce virtually no fumes once the choke is reinserted after startup.
The motor is not as quiet or smooth
as I'd like, although it seems to improve every time it's run. Compared to
the Suzuki 2-stroke, the Nissan is
silent and vibration-free. Bear in mind, I despise internal-combustion
engines, consider them a necessary
evil, and prefer to use my Minn Kota electric trolling motor. I know that,
with the Nissan, I can sit inches
away from the motor while talking to crew in a normal tone of voice and
avoiding asphyxiation, so that's about
as much as I'd hoped from the 4-stroke. I don't really have an opinion on
fuel ecomony, other than that the
Nissan 4-horse's internal tank seems to run dry faster than I would have
expected, however, my expectations
were probably unrealistic. My motor has an optional connection for an
external tank, which I would probably
use for extended cruising, but have no such plans this season. I also added
the optional alternator, but
haven't used that, either. I also have plenty of power. I think I'm close
to hull speed at slightly less
than half-throttle, which is where I've kept the motor for proper break-in,
except for my last outing when an
accidental grounding forced me to throttle high in forward and reverse. I
sail Lake Michigan, where I don't
really deal with strong currents or tides, but my hunch is that, even if I
HAD strong currents and tides, 4
horses would provide plenty of power to handle them. I'm incredulous that
anyone would need 6 or more horses
for an M17, but I'm also inexperienced, so my opinion doesn't count for
much.
Where I store my boat, mast-up, my neighbors all have Honda 4-strokes that
look prettier, sleeker (external
tanks) and lighter than my Nissan, but they were also probably substantially
more expensive. So far, I'm
happy with my purchase, and would recommend it over any other 2-stroke, but
can't compare it against other
manufacturers' 4-strokes.
Please understand that my personal experience with the Suzuki 4-horse
2-stroke is probably not typical: I'm
mechanically inept and I had an old motor that had been used in saltwater.
I can definitely appreciate that
the old Suzuki weighed less!
So, for what it's worth, with less than 10 hours on my Nissan, I'd buy it
again, but ask me again in two
years.
p.s. To those of you who have asked me about my M17 kick-up rudder: I am
very happy with it and can't feel
any
difference from the stock rudder when the blade is down. However, I had to
add an "eye" to the skeg through
which I could run a rope ("uphaul"?) to keep the blade down. The eye was
added in 'glass by a local boat
repairman and looks factory original: I'll send a pic of it to Doug to post
with the other photos of my
rudder on the MSOG site. The "eye" works brilliantly.
------------------------------
_______________________________________________
montgomery_boats mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
End of montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 6, Issue 3
**********************************************
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats