Which shot, Don? I'll look for it! Thanks, Craig ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ludlow, Don" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 5:43 PM Subject: Photos of the Key West Trip
Doug: Very cool photos. One shot was printed in the last issue of SCA. Did you make it all the way to the Dry Tortugas? Don Ludlow -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 8:08 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 6, Issue 6 Send montgomery_boats mailing list submissions to [EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to [EMAIL PROTECTED] You can reach the person managing the list at [EMAIL PROTECTED] When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of montgomery_boats digest..." Today's Topics: 1. Testing link to pictures (Doug Kelch) 2. Deck hole repairs (Jon Martin) 3. Re: Testing link to pictures (Jesse Tate) 4. RE: Photo's of Solitude ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) 5. RE: streamer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) 6. RE: Bow Chocks ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) 7. Bow Chocks (Honshells) 8. RE: Deck hole repairs ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) 9. home from the Seaway ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) 10. Re: Deck hole repairs (SteveR.) 11. Re: Deck hole repairs ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) 12. Deck hole repairs (Honshells) ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message: 1 Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:01:30 -0700 (PDT) From: Doug Kelch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: M_Boats: Testing link to pictures To: Montgomery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii If the trailer sailor doesn't let you post pictures any more I thought I would try this site. I think I have to wait a day to get these in the gallery at the imagestation site. I thought I would try this anyway. Sorry if it inconvieniences anyone. Key West trip below http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289436543&code=6107000&mode=invite CBC 2003 below http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289439081&code=6107013&mode=invite Doug Kelch "Seas the Day" __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message: 2 Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:11:28 -0700 From: "Jon Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: M_Boats: Deck hole repairs To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed I repaired the centerboard problem on my M15, and have now had two great sails. Thanks for the advice from this group. Now how about repairing holes in the deck - I have epoxy and several fillers. Should I use some sort of backing underneath the holes, and fill with thickened epoxy? Will the thickened epoxy not sag without any backing? Thanks, Jon _________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail ------------------------------ Message: 3 Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:28:59 -0500 From: "Jesse Tate" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Testing link to pictures To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Great picture Doug. Thanks, Jesse ----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Kelch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Montgomery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2003 8:01 PM Subject: M_Boats: Testing link to pictures > If the trailer sailor doesn't let you post pictures > any more I thought I would try this site. > > I think I have to wait a day to get these in the > gallery at the imagestation site. > > I thought I would try this anyway. > > Sorry if it inconvieniences anyone. > > Key West trip below > > http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289436543&code=6107000&mode=invite > > CBC 2003 below > > http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289439081&code=6107013&mode=invite > > > Doug Kelch > "Seas the Day" > > > > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com > > _______________________________________________ > http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats ------------------------------ Message: 4 Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:29:01 -0400 From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: RE: M_Boats: Photo's of Solitude To: "'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Thanks for the update, Jeff! Looking good! ------------------------------ Message: 5 Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:46:36 -0400 From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: RE: M_Boats: streamer To: "'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Glad you are able to put it to good use, Rich! -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Richard Cottrell Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 8:15 PM To: Montgomery Boats Subject: M_Boats: streamer Tod: Just want to thank you for the streamer which flies atop "Really's" mast. One of the few times I neglected to attach it was the day of the knockdown. Just return from a couple days sailing with streamer flying proud, without incident. Rich Cottrell M15 -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/private/montgomery_boats/attachm ents/20030811/024fe7bc/attachment-0001.html ------------------------------ Message: 6 Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:53:27 -0400 From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: RE: M_Boats: Bow Chocks To: "'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Craig, They are approximately 4 1/2" long overall. The mounting holes are about 3 3/4" apart. I'd recommend the Skene type chocks (the kind with overlapping "fingers") over the straight type because the line stays in place better. Quite a while ago I had bought a pair of larger ones on e-bay but after studying the situation I concluded they were a bit too large. Probably better suited to a 23. Tod -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Honshells Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 10:03 PM To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats Subject: M_Boats: Bow Chocks How long are the bow chocks on Busca, Tod? Six inches? Thanks, Craig _______________________________________________ http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats ------------------------------ Message: 7 Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:20:46 -0400 From: "Honshells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: M_Boats: Bow Chocks To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Thanks, Tod. I like the look of the skene type best, anyway. --Craig ----- Original Message ----- From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 7:53 PM Subject: Bow Chocks Craig, They are approximately 4 1/2" long overall. The mounting holes are about 3 3/4" apart. I'd recommend the Skene type chocks (the kind with overlapping "fingers") over the straight type because the line stays in place better. Quite a while ago I had bought a pair of larger ones on e-bay but after studying the situation I concluded they were a bit too large. Probably better suited to a 23. Tod -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Honshells Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 10:03 PM To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats Subject: Bow Chocks How long are the bow chocks on Busca, Tod? Six inches? Thanks, Craig ------------------------------ Message: 8 Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:27:50 -0400 From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: RE: M_Boats: Deck hole repairs To: "'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Jon, I put a little square of masking tape over the underside of the hole before filling with epoxy. Someone suggested working the epoxy into the hole with a Q-tip (Bob?) to ensure good contact. Worked very well for me. Tod -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jon Martin Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2003 8:11 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: M_Boats: Deck hole repairs I repaired the centerboard problem on my M15, and have now had two great sails. Thanks for the advice from this group. Now how about repairing holes in the deck - I have epoxy and several fillers. Should I use some sort of backing underneath the holes, and fill with thickened epoxy? Will the thickened epoxy not sag without any backing? Thanks, Jon _________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail _______________________________________________ http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats ------------------------------ Message: 9 Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:53:51 -0400 From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: M_Boats: home from the Seaway To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Well, I returned home late last night from my Newfoundland/Montreal trip. Actually bailed out a day early in Trois Rivieres since we got a late start after changing transmissions. I must say, I sure like the way the Montgomery handles a lot better than the Cape Dory 33. And the cockpit in the Montgomery is a WHOLE lot more comfortable than the cockpit on the CD 33. And give me a tiller over a wheel any day of the week. Here's to a well-designed, well-built SMALL boat. Here's to a Montgomery! Tod ------------------------------ Message: 10 Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 06:54:48 -0700 (PDT) From: Steve R. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Deck hole repairs To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain I have not done this, but ShipShape TV used a two part foam to fill a void in a fiberglass hard top. Obviously you have to make sure the foam does not squeeze the deck apart. The drawback to this method is a two quart supply costs $80 at West Marine, which makes two cubic feet of foam. (Everclear brand). I found a reference to a $25 product at jamestowndistributors.com but they only list a $75 two gallon product - "Dura-Cote". Has anyone used a foam? steve Steve R. M-15 #119 Lexington, KY --- "Jon Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > >I repaired the centerboard problem on my M15, and have now had two great >sails. Thanks for the advice from this group. Now how about repairing >holes in the deck - I have epoxy and several fillers. Should I use some >sort of backing underneath the holes, and fill with thickened epoxy? Will >the thickened epoxy not sag without any backing? Thanks, Jon > >_________________________________________________________________ >Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. >http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail > > >_______________________________________________ >http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats ------------------------------ Message: 11 Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:23:46 -0400 From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: M_Boats: Deck hole repairs To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],[EMAIL PROTECTED] Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Hi Steve, I don't know the size of your deck holes, but if they are just bolt or screw holes that is a pretty simple operation. If you have larger areas where the balsa is rotten (soft), then it's another type of problem. For small bolt and screw holes, I just went into the hole with a nail bent in an "L" shape to get back to solid balsa. Then I put some masking tape over the bottom of the hole to keep the epoxy from dripping out. Next I mixed up some epoxy, and tried as best I could to coat the inside of the cavity with epoxy. Then I added filler to the remaining epoxy and using a small plastic syringe injected the thickened epoxy into the cavity till it was full (and a bit above the deck). When it had hardened, I carefully shaved off the excess sticking above the hole. ~~~~~~~~~~ If you have larger voids or spongy areas, one approach is to first define the area. Then you have to drill a series of holes to allow you to remove the spongy balsa and get back to solid balsa all around the soft area. Next it has to dry out thoroughly before you fill it again with thickened epoxy. I have used foam to build a better icebox in my big boat, but you have to have sufficient area for it to grow and expand or else it will force your deck apart as it grows in volume. If you haven't seen the WEST Instruction Book, I recommend reading it. WEST covers all sorts of repairs, and is a great "How to" book if you haven't done this sort of work before. Connie M15 #400 LEPPO ------------------------------ Message: 12 Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:10:43 -0400 From: "Honshells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: M_Boats: Deck hole repairs To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Is this anything like the DAP insulating foam you can find in cans at any hardware store? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 9:54 AM Subject: Deck hole repairs I have not done this, but ShipShape TV used a two part foam to fill a void in a fiberglass hard top. Obviously you have to make sure the foam does not squeeze the deck apart. The drawback to this method is a two quart supply costs $80 at West Marine, which makes two cubic feet of foam. (Everclear brand). I found a reference to a $25 product at jamestowndistributors.com but they only list a $75 two gallon product - "Dura-Cote". Has anyone used a foam? steve Steve R. M-15 #119 Lexington, KY --- "Jon Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I repaired the centerboard problem on my M15, and have now had two great sails. Thanks for the advice from this group. Now how about repairing holes in the deck - I have epoxy and several fillers. Should I use some sort of backing underneath the holes, and fill with thickened epoxy? Will the thickened epoxy not sag without any backing? Thanks, Jon ------------------------------ _______________________________________________ montgomery_boats mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats End of montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 6, Issue 6 ********************************************** _______________________________________________ http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats _______________________________________________ http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
