George,
The 17 will take more than the 15 however the 15 might keep you happy
and safe. Yesterday I was in 20 knots with reefed main and full std jib. I
tried to put her over on her side but she just wouldn't go. She took a
little water into the cockpit once but then rounded up immediately saving me
from the wrath of my foolishness. The boat was doing 4 1/2 to 5+ knots and
having a great time as was I. At the end of the day I took her home and
tucked her safely away in the garage.
Jesse
M 15 343
Carolyn J
----- Original Message -----
From: "G Burmeyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Montgomery Boats" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 9:57 PM
Subject: Re: M_Boats: New to List
> On 10/22/03 8:14 AM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> To all,
>
> I want to thank everyone for your kind welcome(s) to the list. I have read
> every word on the MSOG site and the factory site as well, I think. I was
> especially appreciative of the discussion on 15 versus 17 on MSOG and have
> to agree with all the rest that the final decision is pretty much up in
the
> air! Yesterday, I thought the 15 was the right boat since it probably will
> fit in my garage enticing me to sail every time I get in my car to head
off
> to work. Today the 17 seems more like it because its weight will better
> handle the winds and currents around here...tomorrow, who knows?
>
> So I think I will sit back and follow the list for a while, try to examine
> one of these boats close up, and see what happens.
>
> Thanks again for all your encouraging words.
>
> George Burmeyer
> Santa Rosa, CA
>
> > Hi George,
> >
> > You have a good nose for boats.
> >
> > For many, many years I was a big boat sailor (29' Tripp-Lentsch), but
> > then I came to the conclusion that the home waters were no fun any more:
> > too crowded; no peace and quiet; harbor launches rolling you out of your
> > berth till 1 AM; so we decided to go small, trailerable, and where the
> > big boys can't go.
> >
> > The first boat was a Bolger MICRO, a great boat; - however, stepping a
> > free standing 26 foot spruce mast became more than I could handle (at 78
> > years of age), so: the MICRO size was right (15'); it was easy to
> > trailer, launch, and retrieve, but now I looked for something with an
> > aluminum mast and shrouds - about the same size.
> >
> > I found a ComPac 16 that needed a lot of TLC. Fixed it up, and sailed
it
> > for a few years.
> >
> > But, ................ The ComPac 16 has lousy storage: everything gets
> > pushed back on the berths that extend under the cockpit seats. There
are
> > no sail lockers in the cockpit, so anytime you want anything: anchor,
> > fenders, mooring lines, etc, it's dig them out from the
> > berths................. No way to operate a sailboat.
> >
> > Then the ComPac 16 with it's stub keel makes a great deal of leeway when
> > hard on the wind............
> >
> > That's when I discovered the Montgomery 15, and after all the good words
> > about the boat I heard from the owners via the web site, I bought one
> > sight-unseen in Panama City, FL.
> >
> > All I can say is, it's a great boat for it's size. Lots of good useable
> > storage space - sail lockers in the cockpit, plus inside storage under
> > the berths; No mast support post in the middle of the boat (as in the
> > ComPac).
> > Space for a Portapotti; plus additional storage space under the cockpit
> > sole, that is easily accessible, and in constant use (galley box in an
> > 18" tool box; tools; nav. gear.)
> >
> > It's a sailor's boat, and I thoroughly enjoy sailing it every time I'm
> > out on the water.
> >
> > I find the M15 more than meets my needs, (two adults + grandchildren
> > maybe once a year for day sailing)
> > but the choice M15 - M17 is a function of your age; how many people go
> > sailing; where do you go sailing; and what kind of a vehicle do you have
> > for towing.
> >
> > I tow the M15 with a VW VR6 Jetta wagon; and towed the previous boats:
> > the MICRO and ComPac with a VW VR6 GTI, and a normal 115 HP GOLF.
> >
> > That becomes a factor in the equation: bigger boat that needs a bigger
> > tow vehicle?
> >
> > Ask questions as you refine your choice.
> >
> > We're more than willing to assist with answers and comments.
> >
> > Connie
> >
> > M15 #400 LEPPO
> > ComPac 16
> > MICRO
> > Northeast 38
> > Tripp-Lentsch 29
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats