Re: Dry Ice - I don't know about the impact of dry ice on the FRP hull but I
would assume that enough insulation would solve the problem. A word of
caution though, dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide (that horrible greenhouse
gas only released by US industry which is destroying the planet)As the dry
ice melts (sublimes) it turns into CO2 gas and fills the interior of the
boat, displacing oxygen. This can kill you.

Re: mast rail - I saw a picture of a Potter 14 with a handrail around the
mast. Looks cool and  probably wouldn't get in the way of rigging the mast.
You would have to route the jib sheets in a way that they would not hang-up
on the handrail.

Re: Floatation rings - pool noodles sound great. I use them for bumpers, cut
in 2 ft lengths with a line through the hole (plastic washers hold the line)
red matches my stripe. I'll check Walmart for the big ones.

Re: Lift of my M-15. Doug, thanks for the response. I may try the bow and
mid cleats for a trial lift but with the mast up, I'm thinking that special
lift eyes may be the answer. I agree that straps would wedge between the
hull and trailer bunks but would use them if I went under the boat while she
was lifted.

Fair winds - Don Ludlow

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 3:26 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 9, Issue 17


Send montgomery_boats mailing list submissions to
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can reach the person managing the list at
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of montgomery_boats digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. mast hand rail (MC  Carpenter)
   2. fiberglass and dry ice (MC  Carpenter)
   3. floatation ring  (MC  Carpenter)
   4. Re: floatation ring  (Howard Audsley)
   5. Re: floatation ring  (Rachel)
   6. RE: gel battery (Smith, Tom)
   7. Re: floatation ring (The Tentmakers)
   8. Re: floatation ring (Mark Escovedo)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 23:55:51 -0500
From: "MC  Carpenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: mast hand rail
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-8859-1"

seen today in San Diego, a short small handrail about nine inches high on
the deck and  3/4 of the way around the mast (( curved around the
front -bow- to both sides but not on the stern side )). safety plus - not
only to hold on to but also to tie lines. do you think something like that
would get in the way of stepping the mast



------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:39:03 -0500
From: "MC  Carpenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: fiberglass and dry ice
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-8859-1"

does any one know if using dry ice near on or on the fiber hull will cause
and damage to the structural integrity to the resin  fiberglass hull, If I
was to build in a small freezer.



------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:58:55 -0500
From: "MC  Carpenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: floatation ring 
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-8859-1"

does any know who or where I can get the floatation ring that fits around
the boat like the one that is shown on the Walker Bay Boats, I called the
company and the girl that answered said it only comes with the dinghy they
sell.



------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 05:32:52 -0600
From: Howard Audsley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: floatation ring 
To: Montgomery Boats List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

The "poor mans" version of this is to make your own out of a set of those
hollow center boat bumpers. Pick the size you want. Just string them
together like popcorn at Christmas. You can use eye bolts along the gunnels
to hold them up. They float and act as bumpers to hold the hard dingy off
the mothership.

Howaard

On 11/5/03 11:58 PM, "MC  Carpenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> does any know who or where I can get the floatation ring that fits around
> the boat like the one that is shown on the Walker Bay Boats, I called the
> company and the girl that answered said it only comes with the dinghy they
> sell.
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 



------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:12:10 -0800
From: Rachel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: floatation ring 
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed

Hi,

I checked into this for my 7' Fatty Knees dinghy also.  IIRC, the first 
place I checked (Add-a-Bouy?) didn't make them anymore or was out of 
business.  Then I got a link for another place, that I can't remember, 
but that had a name that had something to do with "doggie."  I let that 
go because it was going to be prohibitively expensive ($400?  $700?  it 
was so expensive I immediately put it out of mind).

I also considered the fender idea that Howard describes, but I don't 
have that many small fenders, so it had the disadvantage of being a bit 
on the pricey side - unless you already have all the fenders and need a 
place to store them ;-)  They're also slightly heavy. That idea still 
lurks as an option though.

The idea I'm working on now (still in progress) involves two large 
"pool noodles" -- the brightly-colored foam tubes kids play with.  This 
spring Wal-Mart had some extra-fat ones for $5 apiece.  I bought a 
couple and immediately rigged them up temporarily, just to try them 
out, one just under each gunwale the length of the boat. They're 
hollow, so you can run ropes through the middle.

The added flotation was amazing.  As in, you could just about stand on 
the gunwales without tipping the dinghy or filling it with water.

The next thing I did was buy a couple of feet of clear hose and cut it 
into ~6" lengths, which I jam fit into all the ends, to reinforce them. 
  At this point you could use them as is, with perhaps one strap-eye 
mounted below the middle section, to keep them from riding up.  I 
haven't gotten this far yet.  Since I have some Sunbrella-type scraps, 
I'm considering sewing some sleeves for them which would incorporate a 
couple of tie down points.  We'll see.  This project is going 
hand-in-hand with the one where I'm just adding a smaller gunwale pad 
for everyday use.  I envision the noodles for snorkeling and/or heavy 
loads in rough weather.

Were you thinking of this for your M-15 or for a dinghy?

FWIW --- Rachel
Former owner, M-17 #334
Former owner, M-15 #517
Currently cruising on Westsail 32 #412

On Thursday, November 6, 2003, at 03:32  AM, Howard Audsley wrote:

> The "poor mans" version of this is to make your own out of a set of 
> those
> hollow center boat bumpers. Pick the size you want. Just string them
> together like popcorn at Christmas. You can use eye bolts along the 
> gunnels
> to hold them up. They float and act as bumpers to hold the hard dingy 
> off
> the mothership.



------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:23:18 -0800
From: "Smith, Tom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: M_Boats: gel battery
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID:
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-8859-1"

I don't have the magazine in front of me right now, but I think in this
month's issue of Sail, on the things that work page, someone talks about
using one of those emergency starting units as a boat battery.  Sorry for
the lack of info and context on this, but for those without charging systems
and just short term use requirements, this might be of interest.  t

Tom Smith & Jane Van Winkle
Sandpoint, Idaho
M15-345, Chukar
M17-064, Unnamed





-----Original Message-----
From: Harvey Wilson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 7:54 PM
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
Subject: M_Boats: gel battery


Hi..

The Optimas come in 3 varieties...red is starting batteries, the blue is
the deep discharge (house batt)
Can't remember what the yellow is...maybe a combination??

Do a Google search on Optima and you'll find their website and more info
then you want to know about batteries.

Oh yes...you _DO_ have a good idea of what your current drain is,
(hopefully) ??  I've only used West Marines little gel cell, and charge it
after everyuse.

  Harvey/Ga  M-17  Stargazer  #294

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


This message was scanned for viruses!!



------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:25:40 -0700
From: "The Tentmakers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: floatation ring
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/private/montgomery_boats/attachm
ents/20031106/95f4b4e6/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:25:20 -0800
From: "Mark Escovedo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: floatation ring
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

If it's added buoyancy your trying to achieve you may want to look at the
inflatable
bags that are installed on the "OPTIMIST" sailing dinghy.
They are installed forward of the midship thwart along the inside rail of
the boat.
Granted the OPTIMIST is a tiny boat but maybe you could double up the number
of bags.
They are collapsible so when you're not using them they can be deflated to
give you
more interior space.
I'm not sure who makes the bags but they should be no problem to locate.
the INTERNATIONAL OPTIMIST is the largest one design sailboat class in the
world.

Good Luck
Mark Escovedo
'Chunky Dory"
M17 F/D #103   
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Rachel 
  To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats 
  Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 8:12 AM
  Subject: Re: M_Boats: floatation ring 


  Hi,

  I checked into this for my 7' Fatty Knees dinghy also.  IIRC, the first 
  place I checked (Add-a-Bouy?) didn't make them anymore or was out of 
  business.  Then I got a link for another place, that I can't remember, 
  but that had a name that had something to do with "doggie."  I let that 
  go because it was going to be prohibitively expensive ($400?  $700?  it 
  was so expensive I immediately put it out of mind).

  I also considered the fender idea that Howard describes, but I don't 
  have that many small fenders, so it had the disadvantage of being a bit 
  on the pricey side - unless you already have all the fenders and need a 
  place to store them ;-)  They're also slightly heavy. That idea still 
  lurks as an option though.

  The idea I'm working on now (still in progress) involves two large 
  "pool noodles" -- the brightly-colored foam tubes kids play with.  This 
  spring Wal-Mart had some extra-fat ones for $5 apiece.  I bought a 
  couple and immediately rigged them up temporarily, just to try them 
  out, one just under each gunwale the length of the boat. They're 
  hollow, so you can run ropes through the middle.

  The added flotation was amazing.  As in, you could just about stand on 
  the gunwales without tipping the dinghy or filling it with water.

  The next thing I did was buy a couple of feet of clear hose and cut it 
  into ~6" lengths, which I jam fit into all the ends, to reinforce them. 
    At this point you could use them as is, with perhaps one strap-eye 
  mounted below the middle section, to keep them from riding up.  I 
  haven't gotten this far yet.  Since I have some Sunbrella-type scraps, 
  I'm considering sewing some sleeves for them which would incorporate a 
  couple of tie down points.  We'll see.  This project is going 
  hand-in-hand with the one where I'm just adding a smaller gunwale pad 
  for everyday use.  I envision the noodles for snorkeling and/or heavy 
  loads in rough weather.

  Were you thinking of this for your M-15 or for a dinghy?

  FWIW --- Rachel
  Former owner, M-17 #334
  Former owner, M-15 #517
  Currently cruising on Westsail 32 #412

  On Thursday, November 6, 2003, at 03:32  AM, Howard Audsley wrote:

  > The "poor mans" version of this is to make your own out of a set of 
  > those
  > hollow center boat bumpers. Pick the size you want. Just string them
  > together like popcorn at Christmas. You can use eye bolts along the 
  > gunnels
  > to hold them up. They float and act as bumpers to hold the hard dingy 
  > off
  > the mothership.


  _______________________________________________
  http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/private/montgomery_boats/attachm
ents/20031106/522500f0/attachment.html

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
montgomery_boats mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


End of montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 9, Issue 17
***********************************************

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to