Welcome, Todd. I've just been looking at the Sanibel 17' online: She looks like a
lot of boat in a small
package . . . The M17 might be a lateral move. Actually, the Sanibel 17's cabin looks
roomier than the M17's,
which might be advantageous for your young family. And the Sanibel 17' is PRETTY!
:-) If your boat is in
sound enough condition to enjoy for awhile longer yet, you might want to sit on a
decision 'till you've had a
chance to get to know some other models thoroughly. If her sailing performance isn't
too stodgy, and if she's
seaworthy, the Sanibel 17' looks like an awful lot of boat in a small attractive
package! Fair winds, Craig,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
p.s., To answer another one of your questions, yes, the four of you could sleep in a
M17, but the Sanibel
looks more comfortable below. :-) But I'm just judging by the photos . . .
Dimension comparisons might
prove me wrong . . .
----- Original Message -----
From: "Todd N. Swift" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 1:23 PM
Subject: New to the list - greetings!
Hi there,
I'm new to the list and thought I'd take the advice from the initial
email from the server and introduce myself.
I live in Dubuque, Iowa and currently sail a Sanibel 17 on the
Mississippi River (we also tow it to lakes). We've only owned the boat
(and sailed) for a couple of years and have really enjoyed it. I got the
boat cheap and it needed a lot of work which I'm slowly doing. I've
redone the electrical, removed and reinstalled the chainplates, used
Poliglow on the hull, built a new tiller, reinforced the mast support in
the cabin, and replaced some of the cam cleats and other hardware and
rigging. My project before this season is to try to repair some small
blisters that (I think) are causing slow leaking of water into the hull
when we keep the boat slipped on the Mississippi. Needless to say, I'm
not looking forward to that.
Since we've decided that we like sailing so much, I'm also keeping my
eye open for the 'perfect' boat for us (as a possible option rather than
putting lots and lots of time into work on our Sanibel). I had
considered a Potter 19, but am nervous about the daggerboard and our
wingdams on the Mississippi. Also, with the current on the Mississippi,
I'm thinking the M17 might sail a little faster than the P19 and our
Sanibel. We also want to keep the boat small and safely trailerable
behind a minivan. Finally, there are four of us - me, my wife, a 5-year
old, and a 2-year old and we'd like to be able to camp occasionally on
the boat. I really like the idea of a shoal keel and a lighter
centerboard (which the Sanibel also uses) rather than a heavy swinging
keel. I've never seen a Montgomery 17 in person, but it seems like it
might be an ideal boat for us.
So, in general I subscribed to learn more about the Montgomeries, get an
idea if the four of us could sleep in the 17 (we're campers and canoers
so are comfortable with the 'hardshell' tent idea), and watch for the
perfect boat (3 sails, ladder, bimini, lifelines, bottom paint, etc.)
since we're now willing to spend more money on a boat.
Thanks for listening and I look forward to learning from you all!
Todd Swift
Dubuque, IA
Sailing 17' Sanibel Sloop "Anduin" on the Mississippi River
("Anduin" is the great river in Tolkien's Middle Earth - Mississippi =
"big river" in Ojibwa)
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats