How sad.  It graphically illustrates the need to have two or three reliable 
means of release when tethered.

Long ago I worked as a lifeguard.  I only had need to aid one person in that 
career, who panicked a mere two feet below the surface (nine feet of water in 
a pool).  In that case, all I needed to do was jump in and pull her to the 
surface.  This reflected our training in lifesaving:  Once a person panics, 
rational thought and action become acutely difficult.  I'm not implying that this 
happened to the unfortunate young man in the story, but it is certainly 
something we should all be aware of.  The antidote, I believe, is training and 
preparation.

One more thought.  In this particular instance, it sounds like all three crew 
would have been safer in a boat with positive floatation, which probably 
would have meant a smaller boat.

Steve Tyree, P-15 #2098 "Amy Ann"


In a message dated 3/2/2004 5:59:46 PM Central Standard Time, 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Not sure if anyone saw this, but a boat went down just off Ocean Beach in SF 
a couple weeks ago.  The following tells that sad tale:

Update on Capsize off Ocean Beach
February 27 - San Francisco

Randy Reid, owner of the sailboat which capsized off Ocean Beach on 
Wednesday, February 18 [covered in 'Lectronic Latitude on February 20], comments on 
the 
loss in a letter to the Newport owners' group.

"Yes, it was my Newport 30 that was lost off San Francisco. I had purchased 
the boat in Marina del Rey, sailed it for a week in January and left it in 
Santa Barbara. Myself, my son Erik and a friend, Brad, went back down on February 
13 to Santa Barbara and were sailing up to San Francisco when the accident 
happened.

"My son has not been found. Most of the newspaper articles are totally 
inaccurate and should be read with a large grain of salt. There were no helicopters 
involved, the winds are exaggerated, and there are many more inaccuracies.

"The subject is difficult to talk about at this time, but if you would like 
to debate something worthwhile it might be whether to wear the harness or 
flotation devices, in what scenario or when? My son was at the helm and was wearing 
the harness and tether as was our practice all the way up the coast. Brad was 
wearing a Mustang floater coat and I was not wearing either. I was the one 
who should not be here today. The tether is likely to have been the cause of my 
son's death, as it seems he was not able to release himself from the boat when 
it went down. Only speculation is possible why not, but no definitive answers.

"The boat to my best guess went down in approximately 45 seconds. The waves 
were 15 seconds apart and we got hit broadside by three when Brad and I were 
washed overboard. My son was still aboard the boat at this time, and I saw one 
more wave coming at the boat then. The boat was never seen again. I believe the 
safety harness dragged Erik down with the boat." 

Tom Smith & Jane Van Winkle
Sandpoint, Idaho
M15-345, Chukar
M17-064, Unnamed
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to