Hi Gang,

I have gone the whole route:

My original dinghy was a 9 foot round bottomed boat with sails and a
dagger board.

Pluses: it was large, and held the whole family - wife plus two children
and gear; it was fun to sail; but.............

I couldn't put it on board, if things got dicey.

Next attempt:  an Avon 7' inflatable.  A neighbor sold it to me.

Yes, you could store it down below, but:...............it took forever to
inflate and deflate.
It would only work with an outboard................  Forget rowing.  The
position was wrong; the oars were too short; and if you had to row
against a 15 knot wind to get back to your boat, then the outboard had
better work, or else you were going nowhere..

My outboard wasn't reliable!

Next stop:

I got a 7'-9" low freeboard Dwyer dinghy at a Tag Sale - cheap.  Rebuilt
the whole gunwale.  Tried it.  Rows great.  Fits on board. 
But...............with three of four people in the dinghy, the freeboard
become so low that you become a submarine - or fervently hope you don't
become a submarine.

Next attempt:

The regular 7'-9" Dwyer dinghy.  Wholly satisfactory except:
................... if I sat in the stern operating  the outboard, and my
wife sat in the bow to balance the boat, and we hit a
wave...................the splash drenched her back.  She was NOT HAPPY.

So, solution to problem:  

I built a "dodger" for the bow of the dinghy.  Folded flat for storage,
but in use, kept my wife dry, no matter what sort of wake we were
crossing.  Success!

For my M15 I built a Bolger NYMPH  7'-9" dinghy.  It is light weight.  I
can put it on the roof rack of my car.

It rows well.  It is fun.  

.............and that's where I am today.  A Bolger NYMPH dinghy to go
with my M15.

Connie

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to