In a message dated 3/30/04 8:29:45 PM, 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Bruce Bingham, there's my man . . . I love his sketches . . . I have his
>odds 'n ends boat projects book,
>forget the name . . . Wish I hadn't let my "MAIB" subscription slide, so
>I wouldn't have missed the Robb White
>series!  My Flicka partnership plans to put our '78 model back in the water
>this Spring:  It'll be the first
>time since the Fall of 1999!!!  Bruce Bingham and Lyle Hess:  Two of my
>heroes . . .

Craig:

That would be Bingham's 'The Sailor's Sketchbook.'

I have been following the dinghy thread with interest (again--seems like this 
comes up often!).  I agree that hard dinghies are far better for rowing and 
towing, but I will continue to use an inflatable on both the M15 and the Flicka 
in spite of this.  Some of my reasons for this compromise are:

1) I have crossed/will continue to cross open bodies of water where towing 
would not be advisable (and thus I would have no alternative but to cut a hard 
dinghy loose if conditions deteriorated).

2) I have cruised/will cruise in areas where a 20' tide range often requires 
carrying the dinghy up or down long shallow sloping shores.

3) I like not having to worry about the dinghy banging against the hull of 
the mothership.  The inflatable is, for all purposes, one big fender!

4) I trailer long distances, and with a lot of gear, and it just isn't 
practical to transport a hard dinghy as well.

Having had both hard and inflatables, I am fully aware of what I am trading 
away.  On occasion, I find myself in envy of the grace and ease of a passing 
hard dinghy such as a Fatty Knees, Cherub, Trinka, etc., but have made peace 
with my present setup.

Ditto your hero list!

Scott
M15 #478 'bebe'
PSC Flicka (unnamed)

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to