On my 23 I made a board that inserted into the bow pulpit having a boat trailer roller on top. I would slide the mast forward making sure that I had a restraining line around it running thru the tabernacle. By sitting on the base of the mast I was able to align the thru hole with the tabernacle slot and insert the thru bolt. I even made an electric winch system to raise the mast but sold Sadhana before I grew old and feeble enough to need it. Check with "Bones".
Dick



Wayne Yeargain wrote:


There is a real advantage to raising the mast from a fore position enabling
the use of the boom as a gin pole, but I think
it would be hard to get the mast in position to pin..

As I see it the mast would have to slide foward and rest on the bow pulpit.
The distance from the mast bracket to the tip of the bow pulpit
is very short on a 17, about 6 ft,  leaving about 15 ft cantilevered out.
How do you get it out there and still hold it with such a short lever arm?
Maybe it takes two one on the boat & one on the ground with a ladder?.
I have to rely on me to raise it.

Any body out there tried it single handed ?

Wayne M17 #204

---- Original Message ----- From: "MC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2004 11:32 AM
Subject: M_Boats: raising the mast fore OR aft





A message to those who have done it both ways,
is it not easier to raise the mast up towards aft direction using the boom
and the topping lift OR the forward direction. It would seem less energy


be


required and there would be better leverage by using the boom method but I
don't see it mentioned in the archives.



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats







_______________________________________________ http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats






_______________________________________________ http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to