Hello Rik,
               I used a 36 lb. thrust on our dink and it was barely
adequate, especially on a breezy day. The larger 
42 amp may work a little better. I used the elec. on the M15 a few
times but decided it was too small for our needs on anything more than
very low wind days. We sail Texas bays as well as lakes. 

Regards,

Randy W.
M15  "Becca Anne" & Ranger 20. 

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 4/19/04 8:34:26 AM >>>
Rik,

We've had very good luck with a 42 amp Minn Kota trolling motor on our
P-15.  
While lighter than your Monty, I think your boat may have less overall
drag  
due to better hull shape.  If trying to limp home on a windless day, I
put 
ours on a setting of 2-3 (of 5, 5 being full power) which moves us in
excess of 2 
knots with two people on board.  We have a tiny U-1 AGM battery which
has 
never let us down.  I suspect it would run 2-3 hours, no problem, on
these light 
settings.  BTW, it's absolutely excellent for motorsailing in puffy
light air. 
 Also very good at the dock!

Steve Tyree, P-15 #2098 "Amy Ann"


In a message dated 4/17/2004 8:14:40 AM Central Standard Time, 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
MC,

I have been thinking about an electric for our M-15. We will probably
only be 
using her on lakes and most of them aren't all that big. I would think
if I 
could get a range of five miles or so, out of it, that should be
plenty. I 
might need two batteries to do this, but I don't have a problem with
that as 
they (their weight) would reside pretty much in the middle of the
boat.

What was the thrust rating of the motor you were testing?? The motor I
am 
looking at is rated, 55 lbs thrust.

I have a 4 hp 2 stroke to use if I need better range or for a situation
with 
current. But the silence of the electric is appealing for use on the
lakes we 
would normally be sailing on.

Rik
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to