Hi Bill,
I am one of several Flicka (and Montgomery) owners on the list.  I saw the 
Flicka on e-bay the day the auction started.  I think this was either an 
anomaly, or there was something very wrong with the boat.

It is very unusual indeed for any Flicka to sell that low, and especially one 
with the Yanmar 1GM diesel inboard.  This boat also had furling, newer sails, 
etc.  Closer scrutiny of the photos, however, did reveal what looks like 
extensive damage to the interior due to leaking ports (typical of the earlier 
boats with plastic ports).  In addition, some earlier (pre-1989) Flickas had 
problems with severe blistering.  If this boat had blisters in addition to the 
needed interior repairs (likely including the removal and replacement of all of 
the teak cabin sides and fitting of new ports, new cushions, etc.), the repair 
cost and time investment might make a $20k+ flicka look like a good deal.

A rough range for Flickas (selling price--good to very good condition) is as 
follows:

Early (1978-1982) outboard powered: $18k-$24k

Early (1978-1982) inboard powered:  $22k-$26k

Mid production (1983-1987) outboard powered:    $20k-$26k

Mid production (1983-1988) inboard powered:     $24k-$32k

Late model (1989-1996) inboard powered: $29k-$45k

There were several changes/improvements made to the boat during production, 
with the greatest changes occurring in 1983 when PSC switched to new molds.  
The last few Flickas made were topping out at nearly $80k with options.

The e-bay boat was probably a good deal (closed at $12.5k),  but I don't 
think it is representative of what is out there.  I looked for five years (and 
about 40 boats) before buying.  I set out to find an older boat needing a little 
work but ended up with a late model in very good shape. It was amazingly 
difficult to find one that was sound, didn't have extensive blistering, or hadn't 
been messed-up with needless and/or bad modifications.

Having owned several larger boats, I should have known/remembered just how 
much each additional foot adds to the provisioning/maintenance/moorage costs.  
My Flicka (hardly a large boat) costs me at least 20 times more to 
keep/maintain than my M15.  I still wouldn't give it up, but anyone considering such a 
move should do so with eyes wide open!

Scott
M15 #478 'bebe'
PSC Flicka

>Hi All,
>Seems that there is a lull in MSOG Emails. 
>Well, I found something worth mentioning. Seems that there are some Monty
>
>owners that also own PSC Flickas. I've looked at them and sailed a couple.
>
>Excellent Sailing ships. 
>So, I happened upon the "possible deal of the day on Ebay -     Item number:
>
>2476193281 is a 1980 Flicka with trailor with a buy it now price of ONLY
>
>$12,500.00. She is in Marquette, Michigan. She's not for me... But I sure
>hope 
>someone deserving ends up with her. 
>Suppose the economy is driving the prices down? Seems very reasonable.
>I 
>looked at the Flicka quite seriously just a year ago and didn't find any
>under 
>20K. And this one is with trailor!
>Have fun looking!
>Bill

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to