Doug,
Regarding your query on M15 anchors:

Ditto most of Connie's comments regarding multiple anchors and choice based 
on intended use.

I carry a West 'Performance 6lb', a 4.4lb Bruce, and an 11lb Bruce.  The 
latter is my storm anchor.  I am partial to the Bruce (the real ones) for Pacific 
Northwest waters.  It usually resets within a few anchor lengths when/if it 
pulls out.  I use 20' of chain and 300' of 'Premium' New England Ropes three 
strand.

I cannot speak with experience regarding the 'Hooker' brand packaged by 
Cabella's, but I will convey what I have heard regarding Danforth copies--namely 
that some are very poor substitutes due to slight variances in fluke-to-shank 
angles, poor welds and/or metal composition, inadequate corrosion protection, 
etc.  Again, this might not be true of the 'Hooker', but I would want to see 
some confirmation and/or test data before purchasing.  With the exception of the 
small West Performance anchor on the M15, I have always used Danforth H.T. 
(high tensile) with excellent results/longevity.

I recently purchased an Aluminum Fortress as anchor #3 for my Flicka (Bruce 
16.5 and CQR 25 are numbers one and two).  It disassembles and stores below in 
its own bag (which I would never do if it were a primary anchor).  The 
fortress is very well made, has tested extremely well, but is very expensive.

Also, beware cheap chain and/or rode sometimes provided in packages.

Finally, I once designed an elaborate anchor roller setup for the M15.  I was 
about to fabricate it when I realized that I would still have to heft the 
rode/chain bag forward each time.  I now deploy from the port cockpit locker 
where two of the three anchors reside.  I then walk forward (pass around shroud) 
and hook to a carabiner (padded with electrical tape so as to not mar 
fiberglass at tip of bow) hooked to forward/large eye of stem fitting.  This has 
worked 
well, and I doubt I will ever do a roller.  Retrieval is reverse of 
deployment.  I have a pad that I fling from cockpit lid over combing/deck to protect 
from chain, etc.

Scott
M15 #478 'bebe'
PSC Flicka

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to