Hi George,

I too have a Forespar Tiller Extension and the lock box in the side wall
of the cockpit.

I thought it would be ideal for holding course when single handing: 
which it does very nicely..........and for holding the tiller in a fixed
position when at the marina dock.

This latter use was a total failure.

The wash of outboard powered water ski boats; and PWC put such a strain
on the rudder / tiller that it split the tiller allowing the screws
holding the small Forespar fitting in the tiller to fall out - and the
Forespar Tiller Extension was just hanging in the breeze the next time I
got to the boat.

Apparently waves roll the boat so severely that something has to give in
the rigid Forespar / tiller / rudder
system, and the weakest link was the Forespar tiller fitting itself -
held in placed with two small 1/2 inch screws......

So, back to the drawing board.

Now I just use the Forespar Tiller Extension as an autopilot when raising
or lowering sail, or to go below to get a sweater or a beer.

At the dock, I now fasten the tiller with bungee cords.  They can move;
but they keep the tiller / rudder from moving too much.

Connie
M15  #400  LEPPO

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to