While you're at it Steve, why not enlarge the through-hole for the bolt and install an 
aluminum sleeve when you reinstall the bolt?  This will do a couple things; it will 
prevent crushing the mast when you tighten up the bolt, and provide greater surface 
area to bear the stresses of the wires.  I suspect it'll help keep the bolt straight 
too.

When I had Jerry build my new shrouds, I made this modification when I put everything 
back together.  The 1/4 inch bolt had elongated the holes over time (like yours) and 
this mod fixed that.  I used 3/8 aluminum tube with a quarter inch i.d.  I cut a 
length to span the mast, then cut it in equal halves to accommodate the forestay.  I 
enlarged the holes in the mast to 3/8, then carefully filed and fit so the sleeve is 
flush to the mast.  Works good. t

�
Tom Smith and Jane Van Winkle
M15--345 �Chukar
M17--064� Unnamed




_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to