Rick
I agree that its not funny, I meant it as a "I think about this everytime I
go out" and I of all people (bad news bears) will have everything that can
go wrong,will go wrong syndrome. But I still make light of it so I dont stop
doing what I am doing otherwise I will dwell on it and never leave the
docks.

gilbert
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Rick Langer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 9:50 AM
Subject: M_Boats: A Sad Reminder


> Gilbert,
>
> If this is a joke, "It's not funny".
> If your serious, then what you asked is another sad reminder of how
> insensitive we can be.
>
> Rick Langer
>
> >Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 22:42:55 -0500
> > From: "Gilbert Landin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Re: M_Boats: A sad reminder
> > To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> >
> > hmmm...how much for the boat?
> > ----- Original Message ----- 
> > From: "Larry E Yake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2004 7:03 PM
> > Subject: M_Boats: A sad reminder
> >
> >
> > > I just got back from a week of wonderful sailing on Priest Lake in
> > > northern Idaho.  Great scenery and good winds.  Spent most of the week
> > > alone with my wife joining me on the weekends.  I'm working up a story
> on
> > > the trip I'll send later.
> > >
> > > I do, however, want to pass on this sad reminder to all solo sailors.
I
> > > came upon the evidence of every solo sailors worst nightmare; finding
> > > yourself in the water with your boat sailing away. I found a Catalina
25
> > > run aground on an island on Priest Lake.  Her keel was grounded, sails
> > > flapping, and no lines ashore or anchor out.  I recognized her as the
> > > only other sailboat in the marina where I currently have Tullamore.
> > > After calling out and pounding on her hull, I boarded, fearing I'd
find
> > > the worst.  She was empty.  The sheriff's boat was called and they
came
> > > and took over the situation.
> > >
> > > The swim ladder was already down before I went aboard, so we thought
he
> > > might have taken a swim during the previous days light winds and let
the
> > > boat get away from him, but further investigation revealed he always
> left
> > > the ladder down.  His motor was lowered into the motoring position
also,
> > > and out of gas, so it appears he may have been starting the motor when
> he
> > > went over from the terribly awkward position required to start and
> engage
> > > the motor when they're on those lowering brackets outside the transom.
> > > The boat then motored away and grounded itself and ran until out of
gas,
> > > leaving him in the middle of a large lake, possibly wounded from the
> > > prop.  We may never know.  Priest Lake is over 300 feet deep out there
> > > and very cold down in the depths.  A small search was conducted, but
he
> > > had last been heard from 2 days earlier, and I had even seen the boat
in
> > > that small cove the day before, but from a couple miles away and
unaware
> > > there was a problem, so they have given up hope of survival.
> > >
> > > His boat is now tied up next to mine at the marina, with a grieving
> > > family cleaning out his things and preparing to sell her.  Be careful
> out
> > > there friends.  Especially when alone.  Don't put your family through
> > > what I've just seen.
> > >
> > > Larry Yake
> > > M17, Tullamore
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> > >
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to