Doug, what is Bob Eeg charging for the new M-15 CB?  What material is he
using? 

  ---Larry  M-15 hull#189

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Kelch [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 4:27 AM
To: Wayne Yeargain; For and about Montgomery Sailboats
Subject: M_Boats: Re: bottom paint - short cruise - CB Loss



--- Wayne Yeargain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Could you tell us how you lost your centerboard, &
> do you have a 15 or a 17?
> Wayne

Wayne,

I have a 1984 M15 #310.
I purchased it in Feb 1998 and at that time the
stainless steel center board pin was flush with the
exterior of the keel.  The ends of the stainless pin
were clearly visible.

This was the first time I had ever seen an M15 and did
not know that the factory doesn't build them this way.
>From the factory the pin is recessed slighly on both
sides of the keel exterior and glassed over.  Factory
built the CB pin will not be a risk factor.

I now know that my M15 had the orignianl pin removed
for some reason ( most likely a CB repair due to
removing the stopper knot in the lanyard, this will
allow the CB to drop too far and break just forward of
the pin).  The replacement pin wiggles to the port
side as you trailer or possiblly sail as there is no
restraint.

I had put a small amount of 5200 sealant on the pin
and I have epoxied over the pin ends at a later time
as the sealant didn't work. I am not sure which "cure"
I was using at the time I lost the board.

I towed the M15 from VA to MA and was so excited about
starting the cruise I did not check the pin to see if
it had moved while trailering.

During the 30 mi crossing to Nantucket ( a nice beam
reach with 12 - 15 kts of wind, deeeelightfull) I
crossed a shoal and it got a little rough.  The CB
started clunking more than expected but after I cross
the shoal I heard no more noise.

When I anchored that night I pulled the cb up but
there was no weight on the lanyard as it was broken,
no stopper not at the lower end.

In the AM went overboard with mask and snorkle to
attach a new lanyard - NO CENTERBOARD! - just the pin
sticking way out.

:(

Luckily the new boards Bob Eeg is makeing fit the
older M15 with a little judicious sanding here and
there.

I have now shortend the pin so it is recessed slighly
and epoxied over it.  The problem has not returned.

Thanks

Doug 


                
__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail is new and improved - Check it out!
http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to