I'm sorry we missed the Walla Walla rendezvous last weekend. I have a
good excuse, though. It was my wife's birthday and she requested that I
take her for another 10 day cruise in the San Juan Islands. Of course, I
wanted to please my wife so we went. We had a great time. Saw a lot of
places we didn't get to in the June Rendezvous such as: Sailed the east
side of Guemes Island after launching at Anacortes and made it all the
way to Peavine Pass without tacking! (14nm @ 3kts avg)
Anchored in Hunter Bay, Aleck Bay, Garrison Bay, and Eagle Harbor
(don't try Eagle Harbor when the wind is from the SE)
Saw the south end of the islands from the Strait of Juan de Fuca
Haro Strait (beating to windward in 20 kts of wind with a pair of
Orcas to spice things up woo hoo!)
Had a great dinner at the Deer Harbor Inn on Orcas Island
Stayed in Fossil Bay again when we were hoping to go to Matia (it was
the first land we saw after spending 3 hrs in the fog with <100 yds
visibility. Thank God for good charts, compasses, depth sounders,
GPS, and careful pre-departure route plotting)
Rode some wild tide rips and eddies in Rosario Strait
around Clark and Barnes Islands.
Hit 8.1 kts (over ground, 5.7through the water) running
downwind with the ebb in Bellingham Channel on the last day.
We had sun, rain, fog, great sailing wind, beautiful sunsets, and
gorgeous moonrises. We slept as late as we liked, ate whenever we felt
like it, and played cribbage every evening. My wife enjoyed it so much
she may want this to be her birthday trip every year (she could do
without the fog, though).
I am one lucky guy. :-)
Mark D.
M-23 (You can make it through the fog if you have) Faith
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats