Hi Gary:

I purchased my Gennaker at Hogin Sails in early '97
for $ 400..  It's  "star shaped" so one is able to go
to weather a little better.  It's supposed to be 144
sf of sail area.  It's made of 1 1/4 ounce material -
"deep purple and light blue".  

The tack is attached to a down haul which is setup the
same as the jib down haul (same location), and runs
back to the cockpit.  The tack can be raised and
lowered the same as raising and lowering the head with
the halyard, which also runs back to the cockpit.  

The bow pulpit might get in the way when you're going
to weather or tacking while flying gennaker from the
spinnaker halyard.  The length of the luff is a little
less than the length of the forestay. If you fly it
from the masthead the the tack will most likely always
be above the bow pulpit.  I would not recommend
attaching the tack to the bow pulpit. How are you
going to get the gennaker back to the cabin while
singlehanded?

I attach the tack of the gennaker to the down haul
-forward of the bow pulpit. In heavier airs the luff
will become rigid and you don't have to worry. It will
fly similar to a spinnaker. It will want to fly high
like a kite and to the lee. Lot's of fun!!

The hassle is in the tacking because the sheets  run
forward of and around the forestay  That's why I like
to fly it on a long reach.  I like to use it in winds
up to 7 or so knots.  To douse it, all I do is ease
out on the halyard, down haul, and (1/8" sheets and
put it below.  It only takes a minute.  I then raise
the jib. 

The rig is not setup for flying gennakers from the
masthead.  I fly it from the masthead only in light
air.  It flys just as well from the spinnaker halyard.

I wish I had a picture.  

Rich Cottrell

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to