My thistle has the boltrope arrangement, of course, but the thing that I
like about slugs is that I never have to feed while raising the sail on a
cruise except at the beginning.

The thistle has an old "uncompetitive" (i.e. heavy) gold anodized mast with
a cable halyard.  There is a winch built into the lower section, so to hoist
the sail, one feeds the boltrope while cranking on the winch.  Works pretty
nicely, although the arrangement is heavier than a plain-jane rope halyard
that one has to coil up.

*************

I'm thinking I'll try making a "galley box" this winter.  The MSOG page has
one made from a toolbox, so tonight I stopped at the hardware store to look
at the toolboxes but so far am just looking.  If anyone else has any ideas,
please speak up.  Someone on the Trailersailor board posted a pic of
something that is on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4500139156

I already use a plastic tub to keep my galley stuff in, but I'm thinking the
concept could be refined and improved.

I use a single propane burner that screws directly onto a 1# propane bottle
and I'm happy with it, so my galley box will be predicated on that stove.

Tod boat-collector Mills
M17 #408      ~~~BuscaBrisas
T26 #30       ~~~Pretentious (needs fixed up)
Thistle #2531 ~~~Steadfast (needs sold)

the nut :-) who started the '04 boltrope/slug war

A slight setback on the "work-from-the-boat" plan:  the guy who is supposed
to be the department manager quit which means I'll probably get drafted
again at least temporarily, and if I have to manage I'll be expected to
actually BE THERE.  The bright (?!?) spot is that I don't have the boat
ready to go anyway, plus winter is coming.


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to