Thanks, Craig!  Tullamore's not totally "yare" yet, but I'm working on
it.  The old ports can be dressed up a bit by painting the aluminum frame
black (using a self etching paint) and replacing the plexi with tinted. 
Looks pretty sharp with the black aluminum toe rail and a black boot
stripe.
Larry

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:43:38 -0500 "Craig F. Honshell"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> 
> "6) Ports:  The pre-1981 boats had ports with aluminum trim rings 
> around them,
> whereas on the new mold there were recesses molded into the 
> coach-roof sides, and the
> ports just bolted right into the recesses, with no trim rings."
> 
> The trim ring was a good feature . . . I really like those older 
> windows . . . For
> the yarest "old deck" Monty I've seen, witness Larry Yake's 
> Tullamore . . . I can't
> believe how immaculate he keeps her . . . Puts me to shame with my 
> '84 . . . When I
> put her away this past month, she looked like one of those derelicts 
> you see on back
> lots with their tarps rotted away . . . And that was from just about 
> 4 months' worth
> of use . . .
> 
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: Rachel
> To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
> Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2004 10:42 AM
> Subject: History Question #1
> 
> Hi Bill and other M-ers,
> 
> Okay, I'll take a stab at this one - although I think some of it 
> might
> already be mentioned in Jerry Montgomery's "History of the M-17," 
> which
> is ... I can't remember where to find it - must be on MSOG 
> somewhere.
> 
> I think most of the major changes took place in 1981, when they made 
> a
> new mold because the old one was getting a bit worn from use.  My 
> old
> hull #331 was apparently the first "new" boat.  I say this because 
> I
> found an older-style M-17 which was also a 1981 and also had hull 
> #331.
>   At any rate, it was 1981 sometime.
> 
> I'll list what I remember as the changes:
> 
> 1)  Improved hull-to-deck joint.  Not sure exactly how the old one
> worked, but the new one protrudes more on the outside and takes 
> both
> the hull and deck and folds them into an upside-down U-shape 
> together.
> I believe that all of the old boats had the perforated aluminum
> toe-rail, whereas most of the new ones had the teak toe-rail, but a 
> few
> had the perforated aluminum (which was apparently more expensive and
> harder to install, and probably more functional; but apparently 
> "the
> public" preferred teak).  The improved hull-to-deck joint also ran 
> all
> the way across the transom (thus the motor cut-out was eliminated),
> giving it much more strength (I have seen a number of the older 
> boats
> that had small cracks running vertically at the place where the 
> transom
> turns into the topsides.)
> 
> 2)  In the cockpit, the cooler was eliminated from the "benches," 
> and
> the benches were made completely flat (I believe, but am not sure, 
> that
> the older model had some diagonal grooves at the forward corner of 
> the
> benches for drainage?  That's what I was trying to say when I said 
> the
> new ones were flatter.)
> 
> 3)  In addition to the motor cut-out being eliminated, a "wet 
> locker"
> was created across the back of the cockpit.  Essentially a 
> continuation
> of the cockpit "benches" across the stern, but isolated from all 
> other
> lockers and inside spaces.  It had a lifting lid, just like the 
> other
> bench lockers.
> 
> 4) Cockpit drainage:  IIRC, the older boats had copper tubing 
> glassed
> into the hull for cockpit drains (or just one drain?).  My
> early-new-style 1981 had what I believe were fiberglass tubes 
> glassed
> into the bilge for cockpit drainage, but the tubes were below the
> waterline.  I think that newer-new-style boats went to
> above-the-waterline transom drainage, but I don't know exactly when. 
>  I
> think the newest boats utilize a one-way valve to allow water to go 
> out
> but not come in ... ?
> 
> 5)  Forehatch:  The pre-1981 boats had a forehatch that was flush 
> with
> the deck, whereas the 1981-and-later boats have a hatch that sits 
> "on
> top" of the deck.
> 
> 6) Ports:  The pre-1981 boats had ports with aluminum trim rings 
> around
> them, whereas on the new mold there were recesses molded into the
> coach-roof sides, and the ports just bolted right into the 
> recesses,
> with no trim rings.
> 
> 
> 7) Backstay attachment:  I don't remember how the backstay was 
> attached
> on the older boats (perhaps stainless tangs bolted to the 
> transom?),
> but on the newer boats - with the rolled hull-to-deck joint - (hazy
> memory alert!) there is a short piece of what looks like re-bar 
> (but
> which must be stainless of some kind) tucked into the groove 
> created
> under the hull-to-deck joint's lip, and the backstay fittings are
> anchored in that way.
> 
> 8)  Below-decks layout:  I'm fairly sure that all of the pre-1981 
> boats
> had the one settee (quarter berth) + galley layout, whereas starting 
> in
> 1981, you had a choice between that and two settees (which both 
> doubled
> as quarter berths).  Now I'm really straining my memory, but I 
> think
> with the two settee layout, the cockpit lockers were small, ie: you
> lost the great cockpit-locker stowage you had with the galley model
> (unless you cut them out later on) (more on this below in "later 
> mods").
> 
> 9)  Things I'm not so sure about: ...
> 
> At some point, the centerboard-raising winch might have been moved
> outside?  Or maybe it was eliminated with the fiberglass board?  
> (See
> below).  I also think that the main-sheet traveler might have been
> moved around a bit in the cockpit.  Were earlier ones closer to the
> companionway?  I believe mine on hull #331 was about 9" to 12" 
> abaft
> the companionway.
> 
> I always wondered if the "turn" from the coachroof to the
> coachroof-sides might have been a squarer profile on the pre-1981 
> boats
> -- or perhaps it was something I just *thought* I noticed when 
> looking
> at a shot of the bulkhead at the rear of the cabin (as in a photo
> looking from the tiller towards the bow).
> 
> 10) Later mods:  Starting around 1986, you could get a "short 
> settee
> berth" instead of either the galley or the second full quarter 
> berth.
> Then you had the advantage of two people being able to sit facing 
> each
> other below AND the huge cockpit locker of the galley model.  Also 
> in
> 1987 (IIRC), the centerboard went from iron to fiberglass with lead
> (early on maybe steel?) ballast encapsulated in it.  The new board 
> is
> wider than the old iron one, so the keel stub was modified at the 
> same
> time to accommodate the new board. Also, whereas the old, iron 
> board
> had a "stop tang" to keep in from dropping too far, the new 
> fiberglass
> board utilizes a knot in the rope, like the M-15 does.
> 
> That's all I can think of right now.  There's probably more - and 
> I've
> certainly erred in some of my "facts," so feel free to correct me!
> 
> --- Rachel
> Boat shopping for something a little bigger than the M-17 (to live
> aboard), but darn! you have to go SOOO big to get much more than 
> the
> M-17 offers - it's especially hard to beat that fine cockpit 
> layout.
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to