Yes, folks, yet ANOTHER option for sailing your Montgomery next summer!

I'm planning on a two week cruise along the Maine coast in the area
approximately
from Rockland to Mount Desert Island late next summer, leaving home Saturday
August 27th,
returning home Sunday September 11th, and am hereby inviting anyone
who would like to join in the fun.

This is some of the finest cruising to be had, in the opinion of many, and
the
area has a lot of pretty well sheltered water with a couple of more open
stretches with
a few miles to cross.  The largest waves I encountered on my last trip were
only about
3' in 25 kts of wind on Penobscot Bay one day, except for the night I sailed
out into
the Gulf of Maine, offshore, something we needn't do unless we want to.
Most of the time
it was pretty calm with waves less than 1'.  One day there was a big front
that came through
where it was quite windy (50 kts) but I had several days notice that it was
coming and spent
that day in a cozy little anchorage quite safe and secure.

I've added a web page (at the expense of my Tartan pics) with some pics of
charts of
the area to fuel your imagination.  Also, the story of my '02 trip is still
up with lots of pics of the area.

At this point, the itinerary is pretty open and as with the Chesapeake Bay
Cruises
there is a great deal of flexibility as to where we launch and sail.  If we
have a foul
weather day, we can spend it on the hook if we wish.

I've chosen late summer because the incidence of fog seems to be the lowest
at that
time, and the anchorages should have a bit more room in them than in July or
early August.
Last time, I had absolutely *fabulous* weather, with only one day fogged in.

Perhaps on this trip we could raft up one evening or find a good spot on an
island for
 a pot-luck or "shore dinner" with corn-on-the-cob, lobster, mussels, cole
slaw, etc.

Expect to see a variety of sea life including probably porpoises, starfish,
mussels (which
can be collected free from the more remote islands for delicious eating),
lots of sea birds,
 and a whole bunch of gorgeous boats.

Most, if not all, nights will be spent at anchor or perhaps on a mooring.
The tides are high
so docks are few and far between and in many harbors are only intended for
dinghy tie-up.

The generally acknowledged definitive guide to this area is Taft and
Rindlaub's "A Cruising
Guide to the Maine Coast".  There is another, smaller book by the same folks
that is intended
for trailer sailors.  I intend to purchase that for comparison.  I expect it
covers information
about ramps and perhaps omits some info about some of the more "offshore"
destinations; we'll see.

If you aren't interested in sailing for the whole time, there are TONS of
shore side attractions
including Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island to make the trip
worthwhile.

If you think you would like to cruise this wonderful coast, please e-mail me
directly at
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] and I'll add your name to off-list mailings.  So far,
before this formal
 announcement, there appear to be three 17's and a 15 interested, including
Busca.

Tod Mills
M17 #408
BuscaBrisas


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to