Here and I thought they were filled with something like cooking oil. My compass had somehow lost fluid. I had read somewhere that west marine stocked compass oil, so I went and asked the salesman they order it in some large quanitity and was very expensive ( I only need about 5oz) so I am still running low.
----- Original Message ----- From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 10:01 AM
Subject: Re: M_Boats: remove the compass for the winter?



Hi Doug,

Back  - many years ago - pre WWII, when I worked at Kollsman Instrument
Company, our aircraft compasses were filled with a highly refined
kerosene.

I also recall US Navy compasses (and lifeboat compasses) at that time
were filled with ethyl alcohol, which troops discovered, and used
inappropriately...................

My guess is that a compass should stand a -10 degree temperature, but why
not call the compass manufacturer and find out what he fills the compass
with (fluid specs) and if it can stand such a temperature.

Otherwise, if you don't want to go to this effort, just remove it and
store it in the house during the winter.

Connie

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to