. . . thanks, Tod . . . That, indeed, clears it up . . . So to reiterate, my 
'84 M17
#389 did not have the gudgeon-on-rudder/gudgeon-on-transom/lifting-rod 
arrangement
that is standard on the new M17's . . . I had three pintles on the rudder and 
three
gudgeons on the transom . . . And my pintles would lift clear of my gudgeons 
every
time I grounded, so imagine trying to re-seat THREE pintles in THREE gudgeons 
on a
rudder that is offering resistance because the boat is still under sail!  Made 
for
some interesting hijinx that first season . . . Sheared the top bolt on the 
third
pintle when I grounded in Mackinac Island's harbor . . .  --Craig

----- Original Message ----- 
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: 'Craig F. Honshell' ; 'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 10:25 PM
Subject: i'm confused by the . . .

A pintle is the male fitting, a gudgeon is the female.  Most dinghy rudders
are made using a pair of each, sometimes with pintles on the rudder, other
times with them on the transom instead.  M-17's are
a bit unusual in that they use gudgeons on both rudder and transom with a
separate pin to join them (at least that is the way Busca is made).

Tod

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Craig F. Honshell
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 10:21 PM
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
Subject: i'm confused by the . . .

. . . terminology . . . Isn't the gudgeon the thing mounted to the transom
that receives the pin, whereas the pintle is the thing on the rudder with
the pin . . . This arrangement, in some cases, being reversed?

Nonetheless, the photo in this link very clearly shows a rudder arrangement
my '84 M17 #389 never had . . .

My piece like the one shown, that I thought was the pintle, was not open to
receive the lifting rod, as with Tod's Busca . . . Mine had a solid pin . .
. And I had three of these solid pins that mounted through three gudgeons
(or pintles) identical to the one shown bolted to Tod's transom . . .

I have never seen the standard M17 rudder lifting method up close . . . But
from the pics and descripts, it makes sense how it works . . .

Understand my frustration my first season sailing my 17', with the rudder
lifting completely free with every grounding, and in the one case mentioned
earlier, shearing a pintle (gudgeon?) bolt!!!

I could see that, in an accidental grounding, the lifting mechanism would
not save my transom, as I'd have to be able to anticipate the shallows and
raise the rudder to avoid catastrophe . . .

Of course, you can point out that charts and depth-sounders could help one
avoid such a problem . . . The chart DID help in Lake Huron, where I avoided
trouble in the Les Chenaux, but let down my guard in Mackinac Island's
harbor . . .

This past summer I sailed Ontario's remote Lake Nipigon, up above Thunder
Bay, Superior . . .

We could find no nautical charts for Nipigon . . .

A local fisherman and bait and tackle shop owner sold a land map to us and
marked out shallows with a pen . . .

This worked up to a point, but on the last day, anxious to get back to the
launch and motoring at 3 to 4 knots, we grounded HARD on rocks . . .

I sustained hull and keel damage that has since been repaired . . .

But my rudder kicked up perfectly and I sustained no damage whatsoever . . .

Don't know the outcome if I'd had the lifting mechanism, with the rudder
extended . . .

I've gotten in trouble voicing my observations lately, so please allow me to
clarify: I AM NOT ADVOCATING ON BEHALF OF A KICKUP RUDDER CONFIGURATION ON
AN M17, nor am I ARGUING AGAINST THE LIFTING RUDDER ON THE M17 . . .

LET ME BE ABSOLUTELY CLEAR:  IF JERRY MONTGOMERY AND BOB EEG SAY A LIFTING
SOLID MAHOGANY RUDDER IS SUPERIOR FROM THE STANDPOINTS OF SEAWORTHINESS,
DURABILITY AND PERFORMANCE, YOU DARN WELL BETTER BELIEVE THAT LIFTING SOLID
MAHOGANY RUDDERS ARE SUPERIOR FROM THE STANDPOINTS OF SEAWORTHINESS,
DURABILITY AND PERFORMANCE!!!!!

I'm just explaining what I had when I bought my 17', and the solution I've
sought to accommodate the sail-camping and wilderness gunkholing I like to
do . . .

To each, ABSOLUTELY, his own . . .

----- Original Message ----- 
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: 'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 6:33 PM
Subject: M17 Rudders

Maria,

Here is a picture showing the block.  It would have been better if I had
drilled the holes in the gudgeon slightly more aft (closer to the mahogany)
than I did (I probably could have avoided the chafe that this picture
illustrates).  I had left the rudder mounted for a week or two, not raised
completely and the line chafed on the transom gudgeon.  I replaced the line
and am careful not to leave the rudder in a position not quite fully raised
and haven't had any more chafing since.

www.bright.net/~htmills/BuscaRudderChafe.jpg

Tod
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to