OK, that's what I was afraid of.  I'll rebuild it as it was.  I'm talking
with Ida Sailor about building a balanced kick-up rudder for those
shallow water trips.
Thanks,
Larry

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:56:59 -0800 "jerry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
> No.
> 
> Jerry 
> jerrymontgomery.org
> 
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Larry E Yake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[email protected]>
> Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 3:51 PM
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: M17 Rudders
> 
> 
> > Thanks, Jerry.  I figured it couldn't be too substantial or you 
> never
> > would have changed it. If I reshape the leading edge of the rudder 
> to
> > match the shape of the piece I removed, I will have a blade 
> roughly 9
> > inches wide. Is that enough?
> > Larry
> > 
> > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:17:46 -0800 "jerry" 
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > writes:
> > > Larry- You are right about the rudder being the original, and it 
> was
> > > designed for the also original fixed keel version.  I eliminated 
> 
> > > the
> > > couterbalanced part and re-configured the rudder sometime after 
> 
> > > that.  Not
> > > much difference in feel, but you lose the power steering 
> feature.  
> > > No big
> > > deal.
> > > Jerry
> > > jerrymontgomery.org
> > > 
> > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > From: "Larry E Yake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > To: <[email protected]>
> > > Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 1:02 PM
> > > Subject: M_Boats: M17 Rudders
> > > 
> > > 
> > > > This question is for Jerry or anyone who has experience with 
> both 
> > > the old
> > > > style M17 rudder with the "stepped forward" leading edge below 
> the 
> > > hull,
> > > > and the newer style "straight edge" raiseable rudder.
> > > >
> > > > I have the older style and am in the process of refinishing 
> and 
> > > resealing
> > > > it. The seam between the main body of the rudder and the 
> attached 
> > > leading
> > > > edge portion (with 3 - 1/2" wood dowels) had opened and was 
> > > allowing
> > > > moisture into the wood. In order to reseal it, I have removed 
> it 
> > > to clean
> > > > the surfaces. I am wondering if this would be a good time to 
> > > convert it
> > > > to the raiseable "straight edge" type. It has been an 
> > > inconvenience a few
> > > > times not being able to raise the rudder, but it is my 
> > > understanding that
> > > > the "stepped forward" rudder was the original Lyle Hess design 
> to 
> > > better
> > > > balance the helm. It certain is well balanced. My question is 
> how 
> > > much
> > > > balance would I lose going to the newer design?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > > Larry Yake
> > > > M17, #200
> > > > Tullamore
> > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > 
> > > 
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> > > >
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > 
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> > > 
> > > 
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > 
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> > 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to