Sweet rudder, Larry . . . How is the bottom pintle attached to the cheekplates? 
 The
blade has to pivot between the pintle bolts, doesn't it?  Yours looks like a
better-thought-out setup than mine, depicted on the MSOG site . . . My biggest
problem is that I don't have a really effective "uphaul" system, as you describe
below . . . As I've told Dick Straubel, my current uphaul system works, but is a
rather "Rube-Goldberg-esque" contrivance, rather than a well-thought-out process
engineered into the design.  --Craig

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Larry E Yake
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:24 AM
Subject: M17 Kick-up rudder

The rudder blade is held down by cinching up and cleating off the line on
the front of the rudder. On impact, the cleat releases and allows the
blade to pivot on the bolt. You then just tighten that line back up to
pull the blade back down, cleat it, on you're on your way.
Larry

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:11:55 -0600 "Gilbert Landin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

 Randys pictures sure look good. It just seems the one tension bolt
 would
 make it hard for the bottom part to stay horizontal on a good sail.

 gil

 ----- Original Message ----- 
 From: "Larry E Yake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 To: <[email protected]>
 Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:20 PM
 Subject: M17 Kick-up rudder

  My new kick-up rudder from Ida Sailor arrived this week. I'm
 impressed.
 It fits perfect and the workmanship is top notch.  Can't wait for
 spring
 to try it out. All I have to do is drill the tiller pivot bolt
 hole,
 since I'm using my old tiller. Randy Graves added some pictures of
 it to
 his website at  http://sailing.gravesfam.us . It has some custom
 modifications to fit my non-standard gudgeons, and I had the
 optional
 releasing jam cleat added, but the basic design will be the same
 for the
 standard M17 setup.

 Larry Yake
 M17 #200
 Tullamore
 "In a power boat you get there faster.
 In a sailboat you're already there."
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to