"And lastly, I'd be curious to see if you can steer with the rudder kicked
up. As in what happens when you find yourself sailing in 20 inches of water?
Will it still steer the boat without damaging the rudder?"

The answer is "yes" with my rudder design
http://www.msog.org/how-to/rudders/honshell.cfm , Howard . . . It'll steer, and 
the
loads won't damage the rudder . . . But having to steer with the blade up for a 
long
period of time could definitely damage the helmsman . . . Holding that 
horizontal
"barn-door" steady, especially in a strong breeze or under significant outboard
power, requires Herculean effort . . .

"Offhand, I can't imagine how a line through a cleat is going to release on
it's own, but I'm sure it must. I'd like to see how that works. The concept
of a line releasing from a cleat on it's own just doesn't seem right."

The secret is shock-cord . . .

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Howard Audsley
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 11:09 AM
Subject: M17 Kick-up rudder

Offhand, I can't imagine how a line through a cleat is going to release on
it's own, but I'm sure it must. I'd like to see how that works. The concept
of a line releasing from a cleat on it's own just doesn't seem right.

I'm aware of one such kick-up rudder design, where the rudder blade pivots
on a bolt or pin at the aft edge of the rudder. On the forward edge of the
rudder is a spring loaded pin that has enough friction/force to hold the
rudder in place during normal loads. The pin is on the top half of the
rudder. Right above that is cam on the bottom half...the part in the water.
In this design, an impact has enough leverage aft to force the small cam on
the rudders blade to push the pin out and release the rudder blade to pivot
out of the water . You then use a line like you describe to reset it
forward. Normally, there isn't any tension on the line, which just hangs
loose.

For those who frequently encounter shallow water and groundings, this could
be a really good deal, as a severe grounding with a stock rudder can damage
the rudder, the rudder pin and if bad enough, the transom too.

I also notice the foil of the new rudder extends forward under the skeg,
giving a more balanced rudder design. Curious to see how this is going to
affect weather helm and the "feel" of the tiller. Hopefully, it is only
partially balanced and not "dead". Also curious to see how that small notch
at the aft end of the skeg affects drag, if any. It is below the waterline
and in a turbulent flow area. It may turn out to be a great improvement.
Just curious to see how it turns out.

And lastly, I'd be curious to see if you can steer with the rudder kicked
up. As in what happens when you find yourself sailing in 20 inches of water?
Will it still steer the boat without damaging the rudder?

Howard
M17, #278

------ Forwarded Message
From: Larry E Yake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Reply-To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
<[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:24:50 -0800
To: [email protected]
Subject: M17 Kick-up rudder

The rudder blade is held down by cinching up and cleating off the line on
the front of the rudder. On impact, the cleat releases and allows the
blade to pivot on the bolt. You then just tighten that line back up to
pull the blade back down, cleat it, on you're on your way.
Larry
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to