Brian,

While I do not have a 17, I am in the midst of a bimini installation on my 15.

My surprise finding so far: tubing cutters made for plumbing purposes have a 
very short live span when used to cut aluminum.  After I wore out the second 
one, I did a little research.  SailRite sells a Hi-Duty tubing cutter for $50.  
Aircraft Spruce, which Clarence has mentioned, has it for $30.  The East coast 
branch is in Peachtree City, GA, so you may have next day delivery at standard 
shipping rates.

So far, my biggest near disastrous mistake was to cut the same tube twice.  I 
begin with a frame that is too wide and too tall, and modified it to fit my 
boat.  I just lost track of what I had done.  Some method of labeling the tubes 
would have avoided that mistake.

My installation started off as a two-bow bimini that is centered slightly aft 
of the cabin.  This will provide the maximum shade for my little bald head 
while I am seated in my usual position.  It will also allow the hatch boards to 
be removed for ventilation while provide rain protection for the cabin.  The 
bimini frame can stow forward and just clears the shrouds.  If is stows aft it 
is in the way.  To clear the main I had to switch to end boom sheeting.  

My initial design had a second two-bow bimini to cover the rear of the cockpit 
when anchored.  This bimini frame was essentially installed backwards.  To 
allow deployment,  the boom had to be swung over to one side and tied off to a 
shroud.  The main bows of the two biminis were joined by short tubes.  They met 
near the center of the cockpit and were self supporting.  While this 
arrangement was surprisingly sturdy and provided clearance for the boom, at 
times the main sheet fouled in the rear frame.  I will replace the rear bimini 
with two fixed support tubes.  I still want the rear portion of the cockpit to 
be covered at anchor.  For this I will experiment with a single bow attached to 
the support tubes.  This bow could be disassembled for storage, and the fabric 
top would zip on to the main top. I plan to leave the main bimini frame and 
support tubes permanently erected and install the additional bow as needed.  

I like being able to fold the frame back when going forward, without the entire 
bimini coming down.  I have raised and lowered the mast several times in the 
driveway and at the boat ramp without incident.  Towing the boat with the frame 
up was not a problem.  

Ultimately I hope to have tent-like sides to fully enclose the cockpit.  
However I have a lengthy to-do list for homne and garden tasks, so it may be 
some time before this project ends.

I have gained new respect for professional bimini fabricators.  I can 
appreciate why those folks charge what they do.

steve

Steve R.
M-15 #119
Lexington, KY


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to