Bobbie:
Yes, charts have GPS coordinates; they are the latitudes and
longitudes. We just finished 2 weeks in the San Juan and Gulf Islands
and used the GPS units to plot routes, assess speed over the bottom,
determine how much the current was moving us and in what directions
(when comparing with compass readings). And if you did get lost in the
fog--well a GPS could be a life saver.
--Gary Hyde
N24 'Sailabration'
M15 #235 'Vanilla'
On Jun 05, 2005, at 7:23 AM, Bobbie Mayer wrote:
I feel as though I've been asleep like Rip Van Winkle for many years.
While I wasn't sailing much, GPS became a relatively inexpensive tool,
not to mention cell phones. I see a handheld GPS for sale this
morning at Target for $89. Figuring speed sounds nice, but other than
getting lost in the fog, what can I do with GPS when I'm sailing on
Puget Sound in an area I know with good navigational markers? Dad had
one on his fishing boat but he kept a log of where he found the fish
or where he dropped the crabpots. Would I use one for more than
measuring speed over land? And how would I use it? (Do charts have
GPS coordinates?)
Bobbie
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats