I was just leaving my dock, w/o the motor on, and thinking to myself "you
know, I am really getting the hang of this." Just as that thought escapes
into the ether, I looked up to admire the evening stars starting to shine
thru the cloud covers. Something else catches my eye as I start to unfurl
the jib and in surreal slow motion the mast is on its way down on top of me.
I instinctly reach out to grab it as it is going down and manage to break
the fall with my head, ouch. I look around to see if anybody saw that ( I
meant to do that!) then cranking on the motor, I limped back to my slip. My
perfect summer evening sail had come to an abrupt end. I inspected the
forestay and found that the quick release pin had worked loose and released
the forestay and of course, you know the rest of the story. I installed my
CDI roller furler earlier this season and when I put it together the clevis
pin already had a line attaching it to the deck, just so I wont lose it if
it came loose or I dropped it. Unfortunately I should have tied it to the
forestay because every time I furled or unfurled the tether would coil
tighter and tighter until... you guessed it, it pulled the pin out. So
Anyway 30 minutes later I was again heading out, no motor, from the slip and
enjoyed a lovely 45min night sail. I was also able to beat into the slip at
the end of the sail... man Lin and Larry would be proud.

BTW my head is still a little sore, and I am glad I don't have a 35ft mast.

gil


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to