In a message dated 12/16/2005 9:57:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,  
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I'm am selling my Catalina 22 and planning on buying a new M-15.  I 
have loved my C-22, but I want to be able to trailer easier and have the  
seaworthiness of the M-15.


Hi Sands,  Nice Boat the Catalina 22, I learned to sail on one. You'll  miss 
the room you've enjoyed in the past - However, you wont miss the hummmmm if  
it's a swing keel and if it's a fin keel, you wont miss the slings or the 20  
foot tongue extension, nor will you miss stepping the mast, or the 30 pound  
boom, or the spray in rough waters, etc... 
 
I too will have a new M-15 in the Spring. I started out with visions of  
grandeur with what I wanted and I've toned it down substantially. It is bad  
enough trying to get a stock Montgomery in the water without being to rude to  
the 
folks who want to ask questions at the ramp. Imagine what it must be like  for 
those who have all the custom bronze touches.  Not that the attention  is a 
bad thing... I found the best way was to create a "boat card" with  hull 
number, my name (no phone number) and the MSOG Photo Site web address  on it 
and 
give it to folks to have them check out everything online.
 
Other stuff - electrical system. Maybe, but not for me. I considered the  
maintenance, upkeep and cost and found I could live with a few  AAA  batteries 
for anything I wanted to light up and keep the rest of the money in  the 
pocket. 
Or even a portable and lightweight Snowmobile battery if I was to  have Nav 
lights. Or maybe one of those batteries sold as a back-up to jump  start, that 
have a 110v recharger plug in - built in. For me, I want to keep the  M-15 
simple and be able to do a few hour afternoon sail without to much  effort.
 
The Stainless Steel mast crutch for the stern is an excellent choice (may  be 
standard equipment - ask Bob at M Boats) and I like the stern rail, but I  
doubt that I order one.
 
If you are to overnight or use the cabin to get out of the weather the  
opening ports are useful. At least a Mushroom vent to get the  moisture out. 
 
I think the roller furler CDI with a Genoa may be a great addition after  you 
buy her to keep you balanced should the wind really kick up. I think Bob  
will be able to get you a great price on a new CDI furler, but expect to put it 
 
on yourself - that's not really a Boat Shop job (ask Bob at M-Boats to be  
sure).
 
I'll also ask for a second reef point in the main sail as I will sail in  San 
Francisco Bay. Most of the really big boats have three. It gets really windy  
here. 
 
Colored hulls very pretty.  Bronze very, very nice. colored sails nice  also.
It's all a matter of choice. It's fun to ponder the possibilities.
If you have not yet visited the Photo Site, please do and you'll get an  idea 
of how a couple of new ones look - - "Bella" is very custom and  very pretty. 
"Sirius" is just plain stock and is nice also. You'll also see a  few others 
that still look great a bunch of years after they were made. 
 
Have fun, you are choosing wisely with an M-15.  One of only a few  
Mini-Cruisers that retain value very well and sail as a real sailboat  should.
 
Bill        _www.MSOGPhotoSite.com_ (http://www.MSOGPhotoSite.com) 
 
P.s. Get the pretty one with all the trimmings. Why not?
 
 
 
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to