Hi Bobbie,
Since I don't have any built-in power on my M15, I have a portable
power pack with built in air pump, 12 volt outlet and emergency
light from Costco that I always wedge into the under V-berth storage
along with some bottled water. I must confess that I have never
needed to use it on the boat, although it is nice to consider it as a
back up to the VHF and GPS units as well as to power a 12 volt anchor
light I could run up the mast on a halyard as needed. Mostly it is
carried as forward ballast to help counteract the considerable weight
carried aft (me!). It is not difficult to horse into or out of the
storage compartment and has become part of my sailing equipment.
What has surprised me is how useful the thing is at home. I have jump-
started my wife's vehicle several times and even lugged it over to a
neighbors house to help start his car. The pump is quicker and easier
than kicking on my big, noisy air compressor for small jobs like
blowing up the kid's soccer balls, bicycle tires and the like.
I have not taken it on any camping expeditions. I am not sure how
long it will work without being recharged with AC power.
Hope this helps.
George Burmeyer
1986 M15 #385
On Mar 5, 2006, at 8:30 AM, Bobbie Mayer wrote:
I'll confess I'm thinking more of camping right now than sailing,
but you guys are a well-spring of information so it is worth
asking. Has anyone used one of those portable "Jump Start" type
power packs that you recharge at home and then carry?
Bobbie
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats