I like the arrangement on my Thistle.  I have one of the old heavier
gold-anodized masts with a winch built inside it, below the gooseneck.
It really works well with a boltrope because you can continuously feed
with one hand and winch at the same time with the other.  Never a tangle
in the wire-rope halyard either.  I don't know why that arrangement
isn't more popular on smaller boats.

Tod
M17 #408
BuscaBrisas

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
] On Behalf Of Sailfan1
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2006 8:34 PM
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
Subject: Re: M_Boats: bolt rope/slugs


Although I have a bolt rope... Not to mention that
with a bolt rope the luff "pinches" into the mast
groove when being raised. You need to hold the bolt
rope down and flush to the mast to prevent the
"pinch".

When trailer sailing with slugs on the main luff you
just do a pre-feed without hauling the sail all the
way up and then tighten in the stop. Securing the main
with slugs is now allot easier to do directly to the
boom with sail ties. Now when you motor out and are
clear of the harbor, you simply untie the sail ties
along the boom and, up with the main. A quick snug on
the down-haul and/or cunningham, sheet in, and away
you go "toward that horizon"....

I keep thinking about the conversion to slugs myself
as well but with a 15' it's not all that difficult and
a bolt rope does give a cleaner luff when the main is
up. Dunno.

Ashley
M15 # 478
Morgan Hill, CA



--- Timtone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 
> > In my experience using the bolt rope instead of
> slugs has been a hassle
> > and
> > converting to slugs is one of the first things I
> do if the sail  doesn't
> > have
> > them. A bolt rope won't let the sail flake
> properly without removing from
> > the
> > slot and takes more effort all  around...raising
> and lowering.
> 
> 
> That was my initial thought on the two options. I
> was thinking the rope
> direction
> would allow for easier, non assisted action. But as
> you say, the rope option 
> messes
> with a good flake. ~:0)
> 
> 
> > The slot on your mast should have a stop in it to
> keep the slugs from
> > falling out. The stop is basically a slug with a
> thumbscrew to tighten or
> > loosen
> > and adjust at will. The stop is otherwise never
> touched until you want  to
> > remove the sail from the boat. The boom should be
> close enough to the slot
> > to  let
> > you raise, lower and flake the sail without
> feeding. It's a matter of
> > matching slug size and type (round, barrel, wire,
> solid, shoulders, etc)
> > to  the slot
> > to make the sail slide down without help.
> 
> 
> Right. I have some slug stops. A couple came with
> the boat and I have one
> from a restoration
> project I did last winter. But....in this case....I
> am beginning to think 
> the problem
> here is the location of the opening. If I stopped
> the slug movement (hehehe) 
> at the top of the opening
> with a stop....the stacked sail would be too high
> off the boom to flake 
> worth a hoot.
> Now I am thinking....maybe the opening is correct
> and with a stock main the 
> whole boom is substantially
> higher...like about 6 or 8 inches higher....and just
> below the opening. 
> Perhaps when Mike Leonard had the
> North racing sail made the luff was increased to a
> maximum usable 
> length....?
> I do know that when the main is hauled all the way
> to the masthead, there is 
> almost no downhaul movement as
> the gooseneck is almost already at (what looks like)
> the stop jam cleat for 
> either downhaul, clew reefing line
> or Cunningham. This is the last thing that stops
> downward travel of the boom 
> or gooseneck.
> Hmmmmmmm.
> I do have a stock main somewhere around here.....I
> am going to take some 
> measurements.
> 
> The plot thickens.................
> 
> Thanks [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> Tim D.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> >
>
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
>
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to