It seems an almost common thread.
A life time sailor.
Owns lots of boats.
Has lots of experience.
Sailed many miles.
Ends up, in the end with an M17.
I am starting to feel pretty clever.
Although I have sailed a long time, it
had always been on other peoples
boats or with other peoples boats.
Until about 6 years ago when I got
my first (at age 44). The M17 is my
second and could be my last. I have
admire this design almost since it
was introduced.Was quite sure it
would be the perfect fit. After a
season and almost 300 miles of use
I am am quite certain my hunch was
correct.
I have just skipped having to own a
fleet of sailboats just to end up where
I am now. ~:0)
Great story Jay.
Cheers, Tim D.
#369 'Puff'
Kelowna BC
=============================
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jay Townley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:15 PM
Subject: M_Boats: second "new" M17 owner
We just bought an '83 M17 after owing/sailing Coronado 15, Hobie 16 (3), 6
Hobie 18s; Stiletto 27; Merit 25; Impulse 26; B-25; new '90 Montgomery 17;
235 Beneteau, and now the '83 M17! We did a lot of racing in an earlier
life, and the truth be known, if there is one other boat where we are,
we're
"racing!" Most of our sailing has been on San Francisco Bay. We've been
out in everything the Bay has to offer. At no time did I feel like we
might
not get home when using the M17; maybe felt like we might get wet, but
we'd
get home -- and we always did! Spent many nights trailering to Sausalito
where we'd spend the weekend. Can't beat the price. Then, $15 per night
for
dock space, restroom key (with showers) and close to all kinds of good
food.
Many trips to Angel Island and down City Front. We had an Autotiller, so
on
the way back to Sausalito in the late afternoon, we'd set that and snuggle
up against the cabin and back we'd go! This current boat needs some TLC
but
have great plans for it (and its trailer). The first thing I've always
done
with our boats is install great trailer guides so the boat can only go in
and come out the right way. (We've mainly had to launch/retrieve by using
a
20' long tow strap to back the trailer out under the water..and same for
retrieval). Guides speeds up the launching and retrieval dramatically.
With the last M17 we could, from the top of the ramp, rig and launch and
be
sailing away, after parking the trailer, in 13 minutes or less - every
time!
Same with that Beneteau 235 .. and it had a 28' mast with a wing keel.
This
time I am even going to install an electric winch so mast raising can
easily
be a one person job w/o any lifting! Have another autotiller to go on the
boat. Again, 99% of our sailing will be in San Francisco, Monterey, Tahoe
and in the Delta. Hope to see some of you folks out there. Jay and
Kathleen
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats