To All,
 
It's official, I am a Montgomery boat owner, but first some background 
information, for those who care or are so board they'll read anything!!
 
I live in Maryland and grew up on the Eastern Shore.  I sailed several small 
(single sail) boats on the bays near O.C. MD.  I never had any formal training, 
but when you are in 3 foot of water and only have one line and a tiller to deal 
with..........  I eventually moved back to Baltimore and continued to sail on 
local reservoirs and the harbor.  I eventually moved up to a 16' Mistrel 
(Canadian daysailor) but had to sell her during the divorce.  Due to the lack 
of a boat, I have not sailed for the past 10+ years, but I'm back!!  
 
I bought the M-15 (Hull #201 1982 vintage) from a gentleman in KY, sight 
unseen.  I made my decision based on his description.  I am more critical then 
most so I can't be too upset that the boat has a bit more gel coat damage then 
I imagined.  Overall the boat is in good shape, keeping in mind that the boat 
is 24 yrs old.  The doors will need a bit of sanding and a good coat of 
varnish.  The tiller is in great shape, but the motor mount wood backing will 
need to be replaced.  The sails are in pretty good shape, but I still plan to 
send them off for reconditioning during the winter months.  The small locker in 
the cockpit is missing part of the hasp, which I will need to replace and the 
main hatch is also having some trouble.  The mast has some deep scratches/burrs 
due to the home made mast crutch that was used.  I am hoping to smooth out some 
of these before raising the sails.  The cabin is in pretty good shape, but I am 
considering buying new cushions.  I may just clean them for now and put that on 
the old "wish list".   As someone recently wrote on the MSOG board, every boat 
is a project that is never quite done.
 
I worked on the trailer this weekend.  It appears that an M-15 sitting on a 
Dilly trailer (model ?) will not fit in a 18.5 foot garage.  I will need to 
modify the tongue and add the brake away feature to get it to fit.   I replaced 
the bunk boards today and will work on the lights this week.  Then I need to 
check the bearings and replace the tires.  Then comes the inspection.  The 
trailer didn't come with a title, so I will have to deal the MVA on that issue. 
 What a hassle.  I hate having to stand in line at the MVA.  Anyone who has 
ever had to go to Glen Burnie and stand in line knows my pain!!  It's a good 
thing I bought this boat at the end of season.......it's going to take me most 
of the winter to get her back in shape.   
 
Since I live in MD, I hope to be sailing all around the Chesapeake area.  In 
the past I have sailed in the lower parts of the Baltimore harbor close to 
where the harbor dumps into the bay, plenty of wind!  My parents still live on 
the eastern shore of MD, (where I grew up) so I plan to do some sailing in the 
bays near the coast.  
 
I'm pretty excited.  I haven't actually sailed an M-15 yet, but after talking 
with Bob Eeg, I can't help but wish for spring.  It's getting a bit cold hear 
in the NE and I will not sail again till spring, after I've had a quick weekend 
refresher course in sailing.  I found Walt Woods, who teaches sailing in MD and 
uses the M-17 as his training vessel.  I asked if he'd consider using my M-15 
for a few private lessons, and he agreed.   I plan to spend the winter sprucing 
up my new boat and getting her ready!
 
Special Thanks to:
Walt Woods, who I met at the Annapolis Boat Show and suggested that I look into 
the M-15 prior to purchasing my dream boat. 
 
Bob Eeg, who took the time to talk to me about the M-15 and the advantages it 
has over the WWP, which I was about to purchase!!
 
My brother who lives in TN and drove the boat to VA, where I picked her up this 
weekend.  
 
Thanks to you too, Jerry!!  We'll be in touch. 
 
I'll be posting again with thoughts on naming the boat.
 
Thanks for listening!
 
Skip Campion
 
 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [email protected]
Sent: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 7:22 AM
Subject: Re: M_Boats: M15 For Sale in Connecticut


The boat in KY is SOLD.  I bought it last week and I will be picking it up this 
week.
 
Skip 
 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [email protected]
Sent: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: M_Boats: M15 For Sale in Connecticut


The BoatTrader also has one listed for $4300 in Kentucky.
 
Bill
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats



Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security 
tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free 
AOL Mail and more.
________________________________________________________________________
Check out the new AOL.  Most comprehensive set of free safety and security 
tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free 
AOL Mail and more.
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to