Hi Blake, 
Another way to go, one which I will likely do on my M
15, is to get a Brunton Nexus 70UNE. It is a
combination hand held bearing compass and steering
compass. It has a cylindrical shaft ( like a
flashlight ) which can be slid into a bracket, which,
in turn, can be screwed into the underside of the teak
board at the companionway or onto the sliding
companionway cover. The bracket can be mounted
horizontally or vertically, and the compass will
operate properly either way. Also, you can buy a
second bracket so that you can mount the compass in
two different parts of the boat, depending on
conditions. It isn't cheap, however, so if price is
important, the advice to simply mount a compass on a
separate board sounds good. Regards, Ron C.
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Blake,
> 
> When I had our M15, I had a small Danforth compass
> mounted on a piece of
> teak board.
> 
> I just placed it on the cockpit sole at the front
> end of the cockpit. 
> The bulkhead supplied a reference point, and if the
> compass was moved (by
> feet) it was instantly visible as a gap between teak
> board and bulkhead,
> so alignment was no problem.
> 
> The advantage, as far as I was concerned was:
> 
> 1.  The compass was easy to stow when not in use.
> 
> 2.  I didn't have to mount it in the aft end of the
> cabin.  Mounting it
> there means that on one tack it is handy to see, on
> the other you are
> craning  your neck.
> 
> 3.  Fewer holes to make in the M15.
> 
> Connie
> 
> ex M15 #400  LEPPO
> 
> _______________________________________________
>
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 



       
____________________________________________________________________________________
Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for 
today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow  

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to