Okay, this might be a wild shot, but you didn't say how fast you were going 
when you heard the vibration.  Occasionally when surfing down a swell with a 
stiff breeze behind me, the hull will vibrate as I exceed hull speed - or at 
least I think that is what it is- somewhere around 5.5-6 knots.  I suppose with 
a big enough motor,you could do the same thing?  My lil' 2 horse gets me pretty 
close to hull speed, what would 5 do?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:  Send montgomery_boats mailing list submissions to
[email protected]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can reach the person managing the list at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of montgomery_boats digest..."


Today's Topics:

1. New Stuff on Havasumontgomerys.piczo.com ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
2. Re: M15 vibration noise (Arnold Sharpe)
3. Main Sheet setup (Michael Mellor)
4. M 15 Battens (John McMichaels)
5. Re: Main Sheet setup (Arnold Sharpe)
6. Re: Main Sheet setup (William Larson)
7. Re: M 15 Battens ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
8. RE: M 15 Battens (William B. Riker)
9. Re: M15 vibration noise (Gary M Hyde)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:47:19 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: M_Boats: New Stuff on Havasumontgomerys.piczo.com
To: [email protected]
Message-ID: 
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

I finally finished chronicling the San Juans 07 trip on our web site. If you 
are interested, there is a separate page for each leg of the trip, 6 in all. 
Between all the crews there was over 1000 photos! Thanks goes out to Randy 
Graves for compiling them all for us on a CD. I tried to take pics from each 
day to give folks that weren't there a feel for the trip. I'm hoping that some 
folks,after looking at the pics with descriptions,will get even a better feel 
for what a fantastic trip this is and plan on making it in 2009.

There is a new home page when you enter the address. Just click on the 
"sailing and trips" photo and then on the "Montgomery San Juans 07" link. You 
can 
navigate between days of the trip at the bottom of each page by clicking the 
link to the day of the trip you'd like to see. At the top of each page is a 
link to click that will give you an aerial view of each leg of the trip.

Hope you enjoy, send me feedback if you get a chance to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) 

The new address is _www.havasumontgomerys.piczo.com_ 
(http://www.havasumontgomerys.piczo.com) 

Sean and 'Jo
M23 Dauntless





************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at 
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour


------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:23:12 -0700
From: Arnold Sharpe 
Subject: Re: M_Boats: M15 vibration noise
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats

Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed

I have the same situation with our M-17. I finally discovered that the 
top rudder pintel was worn and the source of the vibration. Perhaps 
that is your problem also. Kind Regards Arnold
On Aug 15, 2007, at 11:51 AM, Harry & Nancy wrote:

> Hi M15 owners: When motoring with my M15, there is a loud vibrating 
> noise{racket}. I've tried to locate its origin but no luck. Could it 
> be the centerboard rattling? Thanks for any clues. Harry Elmslie
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats




------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:29:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Mellor 
Subject: M_Boats: Main Sheet setup
To: Montgomery mail 
Message-ID:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

I'm a new M17 owner and I have a question concerning the main sheet setup. I 
have the factory setup directly in front of the cabin. Reciently, sailing in 25 
to 30 mph winds, several times I had a difficult time releasing my main sheet. 
Can someone explain the advantage of having the factory setup over a 
conventional stern, end of boom setup. After my last sailing experiance I'm 
considering changing my main sheet location. Is there any good reason I 
shouldn't??

Michael Mellor
Eugene OR

________________________________________
PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com



------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:49:18 -0400
From: "John McMichaels" 
Subject: M_Boats: M 15 Battens
To: 
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"

New owner of old M 15: I need advice on where to look for replacement battens 
for mainsail. Also, if any M 15 owners would like to share their opinions and 
photos on changes/improvements to M 15 rigging, I'd like to hear. Thanks.
John McMichaels
Chapel Hill, NC


------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:35:29 -0700
From: Arnold Sharpe 
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Main Sheet setup
To: Michael Mellor , For and about Montgomery
Sailboats 
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed

Michael, Where are you finding 25-30 winds...at Fern Ridge? Our M-17 
is at Fern Ridge and is recently new to us (we have sailed her about 
6-8 times) but like how she handles. It is and older model but the 
main sheet set up works pretty well ( it is on a traveler about one 
foot astern of the companion way on the cockpit sole). When we bought 
the boat it came with a "boom Kicker" as well as a vang (which I found 
redundant because of the location of the main sheet). If you move the 
mainsheet to the end of the boom then you will want to consider a boom 
vang especially on reaches and runs. I have had bigger boats with both 
arrangements and don't see any particular advantages either way with 
the exception that our present main sheet arrangement is inconvenient 
from a cabin access perspective. Our M-17, "Little Breeze", is at 
Orchard Point, slip 61. Feel free to look at my arrgt. or let me know 
when you would like to inspect it. We live in Brownsville but are at 
the boat often. Regards..Arnold Sharpe
On Aug 17, 2007, at 5:29 AM, Michael Mellor wrote:

> I'm a new M17 owner and I have a question concerning the main sheet 
> setup. I have the factory setup directly in front of the cabin. 
> Reciently, sailing in 25 to 30 mph winds, several times I had a 
> difficult time releasing my main sheet. Can someone explain the 
> advantage of having the factory setup over a conventional stern, end 
> of boom setup. After my last sailing experiance I'm considering 
> changing my main sheet location. Is there any good reason I 
> shouldn't??
>
> Michael Mellor
> Eugene OR
>
> ________________________________________
> PeoplePC Online
> A better way to Internet
> http://www.peoplepc.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats




------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:49:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: William Larson 
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Main Sheet setup
To: Michael Mellor , For and about Montgomery
Sailboats 
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Michael:
The factory main sheet set up helps with the sail shape especially sailing 
downwind. I haven't noticed any difficulties releasing the main sheet in a 
blow. ???
Bill Larson, M17 "JoEllen"

Michael Mellor wrote:
I'm a new M17 owner and I have a question concerning the main sheet setup. I 
have the factory setup directly in front of the cabin. Reciently, sailing in 25 
to 30 mph winds, several times I had a difficult time releasing my main sheet. 
Can someone explain the advantage of having the factory setup over a 
conventional stern, end of boom setup. After my last sailing experiance I'm 
considering changing my main sheet location. Is there any good reason I 
shouldn't??

Michael Mellor
Eugene OR

________________________________________
PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats



------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:13:07 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: M_Boats: M 15 Battens
To: [email protected]
Message-ID: 
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

I went my local marina and they had some that would work, not a lot of 
chose from, but very handy and reasonable. 
Dale
M17



************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at 
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour


------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:28:19 -0600
From: "William B. Riker" 
Subject: RE: M_Boats: M 15 Battens
To: "'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'"

Message-ID: 
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

You can always try the local lumber yard. Get some small lattice, cut to
size and sand smooth. 

Some years ago a friend invited me to accompany him to the Chesapeake for
the weekend on his Morgan 32. Got there and found we had not battens. I'm
not a great DIYer, but was able to make some in about an hour. May have had
to spend a couple of bucks on a coping saw and sand paper.

Bill Riker 
M15 - #184
Storm Petrel

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2007 1:13 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: M_Boats: M 15 Battens

I went my local marina and they had some that would work, not a lot of 
chose from, but very handy and reasonable. 
Dale
M17



************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL
at 
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats




------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:12:58 -0700
From: Gary M Hyde 
Subject: Re: M_Boats: M15 vibration noise
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats

Message-ID: 
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; delsp=yes; format=flowed

If the pintles/gudgeons are rattling (and mine do sometimes), one 
solution is to steer the motor slightly to one side, and then 
compensate by steering with the rudder the other way in order to go 
straight. That puts a little more tension on the pintles/gudgeons and 
may stop the rattling.

--Gary Hyde
2005 M17 sailboat #637 'Hydeaway 2'
We can't change the wind, but we can trim our sails.


On Aug 16, 2007, at 4:49 PM, Larry E Yake wrote:

> Couple more things you could check are the cockpit hatches and the
> pintles/gudgeons. I have one hatch cover that I have to sit on while
> motoring or it rattles a bit at certain RPM's, but the worst was 
> the old
> gudgeons and pintles before I replaced them. They were worn and 
> sloppy.
> Made a lot or racket with the old 2 cycle I used at that time.
>
> Larry
>
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:01:55 -0700 RandyG 
> writes:
>> Harry,
>>
>> I'm trying to think what could rattle on an M15 while motoring. One
>> thing you could do to check the centerboard would be to raise or
>> lower it and see if the noise changes. Also, you could pull up on
>> the centerboard pendent with a steady pressure and hold it there,
>> and see if the noise changes. It is normal for the centerboard to
>> have some play in the centerboard cavity. Pulling up on the pendent
>> would take-out most of the play.
>>
>> On our M15 I recall the adjustable motor mount and boarding ladder
>> also had some rattle to them. It seems like the vibration of the
>> outboard at low engine speeds (especially a 4-stroke) would rattle
>> most anything rattleable. I often raise or lower the motor speed
>> slightly to take out some of the vibration echoing through the
>> boat.
>>
>> Randy G.
>>
>> ________________________________________
>> From:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> On Behalf Of Harry & Nancy [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 11:51 AM
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: M_Boats: M15 vibration noise
>>
>> Hi M15 owners: When motoring with my M15, there is a loud vibrating
>> noise{racket}. I've tried to locate its origin but no luck. Could it
>> be the centerboard rattling? Thanks for any clues. Harry Elmslie
>> _______________________________________________
>> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>>
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats




------------------------------

_______________________________________________
montgomery_boats mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


End of montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 54, Issue 9
***********************************************

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to