After having spent nearly 20 years sailboarding and windsurfing, I got my first sailboat an M-17 ,"ForePlay". I gave my wife the choice of an ultralight, a BMW motorcycle or the sailboat. Unfortunately, as a windsurfer with a very short board, I was used to looking for storm conditons and wind above 30 knots. Fortunately, as the storm approached our high mountain lake, Bear Lake, I thought to let my wife and son out at the marina before heading back out to see what the M-17 could do. I shrugged off the small boat warnings from the Coast Guard (I was the only boat on the 27 mile long lake). I had already rigged the storm sail and reefed the main as the wind came ripping accross the water. I decided to head into the wind and ease off as wind force allowed. At the peak the wind hit over 50 knots. I was able to handle the boat with storm sail alone. The biggest problem came when it came time to head back to the marina. The waves were 4-5' and I could not leave the tiller to get the sails down. By the time I motored back into the Marina, my jib sheet had broken loose from its shakle and was flailing miserably and I was getting hypothermic. I motored back rather humbled. My wife was standing next to the Coast Guard who had been watching my fiasco through binoculars. His comment at my wife's concern was "Its a sailboat, if it goes over, it will pop up again." I don't know about other boats, but I have plenty of confidence in the Monty. I immediatly set about rigging a downhaul for my jib.

randy
M-17 Utah
----- Original Message ----- From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:43 PM
Subject: montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 54, Issue 23


Send montgomery_boats mailing list submissions to
[email protected]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can reach the person managing the list at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of montgomery_boats digest..."


Today's Topics:

  1. RE: Sailing out to Ventura and Anacapa Island (Hughston, Larry)
  2. Sail stop (Joe Moore)
  3. RE: worst conditions to take an m15 (ORLANDO VELEZ)
  4. Re: Sail stop (Bill Tosh)
  5. Re: First M17 sail (Larry E Yake)
  6. Re: Sail stop (judy casino)
  7. Link for Sail Stop West Marine ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  8. Re: Looking to meet an M17 owner in my neighborhood
     (Brandon McClintock)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:48:15 -0700
From: "Hughston, Larry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: M_Boats: Sailing out to Ventura and Anacapa Island
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[email protected]>
Message-ID:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Now I feel good.  I just went sailing on a great Monty 23.  -Thanks,
---L.  In Sacramento.  (M-15  hull # 189)

-----Original Message-----
From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ion.com] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 2:54 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: M_Boats: Sailing out to Ventura and Anacapa Island

Got back last night from our trip to the Channel Islands area. Posted a
couple of quick movies made with our camera. It's not really a video
camera but lets you take some quick clips. Had a great time sailing with
the Socal Potters.  Great bunch of folks. trailered over on Wed (7 hour
trip).  We sailed out of Channel Islands Harbor on Thurs to Ventura
Harbor and spent the night, Friday  we sailed back down the coast to
Channel Islands, and Saturday made the trip out  to Anacapa Island
(about 12 or 13 miles offshore). Great weather.
Sailed all the  way usually at 5 knots or better. The movies are posted
on the home page of our  website. No sound to the second one. Can't make
it work for some reason and I'm  tired of fighting it! Enjoy.

www.havasumontgomerys.piczo.com

Sean
M23 Dauntless



************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new
AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats



------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:24:45 -0400
From: Joe Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: Sail stop
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats
<[email protected]>"
<[email protected]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"

I have managed to lose my sail stop that fits into the mainsail track on my M15. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement and what specific size?

Thanks

Joe Moore
"Midnight Passage"
M15 #641





------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:42:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: ORLANDO VELEZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: M_Boats: worst conditions to take an m15
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
<[email protected]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

     Thank you Bill for your advise, I was tired swimming behind the boat.
Thank you all for your input is comforting to know that the M15 can take that much. And to Jerry as long as everybody else in the boat is enjoying who cares about one passenger.

 Orlando Velez
 M15







"William B. Riker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 So reduce the risk. Pee in can and dump it over the side. Much safer. And
less visible.

Bill Riker
M15 - #184
Storm Petrel
and peecan

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Bob Olson
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 10:59 PM
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
Subject: Re: M_Boats: worst conditions to take an m15

I don't think I've been out in the wildest conditions of any M-boat
sailor, but earlier this year, I was out with the Potter group in 25
to 30 knots of wind on the south puget sound. I had my main reefed
and the jib down. I don't think I would have had any sail up at all
with 5 more knots of wind. So, personally, I'd put max wind speed at
around 30 knots. Any more than that, you might need a sailboard.

But, the most miserable time was motoring back to our launch site-- the next day--into a head wind of 25 knots and driving rain--10 miles
or so. Beating into 3' swells and the honda 2hp barely making
headway. I was never really fearful of capsizing, but froze my ass
off 'cause I didn't dress warm enough. Thought hypothermia would get
me first.

My guess is the most dangerous aspect of sailing is probably getting
heatstroke or hypothermia. Or falling overboard while peeing.

--Bob Olson
M-15 Seaquel


On Aug 27, 2007, at 7:10 PM, ORLANDO VELEZ wrote:

Hello
With so many knowledgeable sailors in this group I wold like to
ask what has been the worst weather / sea conditions you have
experienced and
what are the worst condition that an m15 can take?

thanks
Orlando Velez
M15


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats





------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:42:22 -0500
From: "Bill Tosh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Sail stop
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[email protected]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

1/2 ",,,,West Marine........
----- Original Message ----- From: Joe Moore To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats<[email protected]>
 Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:24 PM
 Subject: M_Boats: Sail stop


I have managed to lose my sail stop that fits into the mainsail track on my M15. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement and what specific size?

 Thanks

 Joe Moore
 "Midnight Passage"
 M15 #641



 _______________________________________________
 http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:17:37 -0700
From: Larry E Yake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: First M17 sail
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],[email protected]
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Note this is a good time to ask, is the foot of the mainsail supposed
to stay in the slot in the boom arm?  My wife asked, and I just was not
quite >sure.  The rope bead along the foot just doesn't seem thick enough
to ride in the groove on the boom...

Looks like you have a loose footed main, which is meant to fly free of
the boom.  Your pictures don't show it, but I assume there's a slug at
the clew which runs in the slot in the boom.

Sounds like you had a great first sail.  Thanks for the report.

Larry



------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:52:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: judy casino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Sail stop
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
<[email protected]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Hi Joe,
The one Bob Eeg supplied to me with my new M15 is a
Davis track stop with a 1/2" diameter round slide (
Davis part number 02350). You can buy them at West
Marine (and I'm sure many other sailing retailers). At
West Marine, they are $8.99. The one supplied to me
with the boat by Eeg appears to fit perfectly, and the
round slide shape rides smoothly in the mast track. I
recommend that you buy two, as they are easy to lose
overboard!
Regards,
Ron Casino
--- Joe Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have managed to lose my sail stop that fits into
the mainsail track on my
M15.  Does anyone know where I can get a replacement
and what specific size?

Thanks

Joe Moore
"Midnight Passage"
M15 #641



_______________________________________________

http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats





____________________________________________________________________________________
Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC



------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 05:07:57 +0000
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: M_Boats: Link for Sail Stop West Marine
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
<[email protected]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; DelSp="Yes";
format="flowed"

Joe
here is the link for West Marine that Judy spoke of. You may have to
cut and paste the link.

Christian F.


http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/1761/377%20710/0/sail%20stop/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=sail%20stop&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=sail%20stop&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=2&subdeptNum=175&classNum=272



------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 23:42:58 -0700
From: "Brandon McClintock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: Re: Looking to meet an M17 owner in my neighborhood
To: <[email protected]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

I'm not quite sure how this works but I am interested in knowing if there are any M17 owners in the Sacramento area who would be willing to show me their boat. For a number of reasons I've decided to explore the world of trailer
sailing.  The M17 seems to be a truly fine boat for this but I have not
actually seen one up close and personal. I live in Woodland and would enjoy
meeting anyone who could offer advice / suggestions on the boat's
characteristics.  I now own (and am desperately trying to sell) both a Cal
2-24 (berthed in Richmond) and a Kingfisher 22 " SHANTI " which comes on her
own trailer.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who cares to respond.

Brandon McClintock
530-662-0602 / 530-908-1788





------------------------------

_______________________________________________
montgomery_boats mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


End of montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 54, Issue 23
************************************************


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to