David, Same thing happened to me this last summer. I now have a check
list of things to do when leaving the boat unattended for any length of
time.
regards .Arnold..M-17 "Little Breeze"
On Nov 2, 2007, at 6:05 AM, brian gilbert wrote:
Hi David (and everybody else on the list)
Everyone probably already knows this, and would NEVER do it themselves,
but...
If you cork the stern drains, don't forget to remove the corks when you
leave the boat. I have a seacock at the stern drain, and closed it off
one
sail when I had a few guests aboard to prevent water flowing in from
the
slightly overweight contents of the cockpit. I forgot to open it up
when I
packed up for the day.
When I came back to the boat the next weekend, I noticed she was
sitting
kinda funny in the water. We'd had a heavy rain during the week, and
the
cockpit was filled with water.
Opening the main hatch, I discovered that the water had flown over the
sill
and partially covered the cabin sole to about three inches. I pumped
like
crazy. Luckily it didn't reach anything electrical and there was no
real
damage, but there was condensation and plenty of mildew everywhere. I
took
the opportunity to give the boat a good wash and complete wipedown of
the
interior. No damage, but it was embarrasing and potentially
disasterous.
I like the idea of using a cork, 'cause there's an obvious visual cue.
A
scheduled improvement to my boat will be a laminated fiberglass sill
that
will go under the traveller and bolted to the boat (so another owner
can
undo it if he/she wants) as well as a straight thru-hull between the
transom
and the cockpit, above the level of the cockpit sole but below the top
of
the sill.
Best to all
BG
--
Brian Gilbert
Author, Fix It And Sail, The Complete Trailer-Sailor
Marine Media
3404 Hartford Dr
Chattanooga, TN 37415
www.sailingsmall.com
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reply-To: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:25:49 -0600
To: [email protected]
Subject: montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 57, Issue 1
For the stern drains I simply bought a couple of 85-cent corks at the
hardware store and stick them in before I leave the mooring. In the
event I
take on serious water (has happened a couple of times) I can just kick
them
out with my toe and things drain.
David Hill
M17 619 Grouper
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats