John,
If the tails of the 'Split tail' are adjustable - the height of the  triangle 
is adjustable. The easier thing to do is to find the height at which  the 
triangle should be 95% of the time and FIX the tails at this position. (mine  
are 
tied off) then the 'Triangle' can be effectively lowered by using more Boom  
Vang - vang off triangle up - vang on -triangle down, the leech of the sail  
opens and closes as the vang comes off and on, so the mainsail no longer is  
tring to do THREE things, - leech tension, boom positioning and angle of attack 
 
- my version of the K.I.S.S. gig. 
 
I used to sail a Penguin -they were the most complicated three stay rig on  a 
dinghy, - mast rotation, mast limit, rake, shrouds are adjustable at the deck 
 -fore and aft on track, mast step etc. Cool -lotsa 'strings' - then I 
discovered  you can be out of tune a far greater percentage of the time and the 
benefit  realized by the 'ultimate tuning' is freq. outweighed by the fact the 
boat is  more often than not out of proper tune. Silly - So I decided to 
simplify 
-  remove traveler- etc.
 
This is what the Non-adjustable split tail does for me.
Take Care, Have Fun
Gary O.



**************Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.     
http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to