I'm not familiar with the M-15 forestay setup, but am putting a
CDI furler on my M-17.? Could you drop the top fitting down the
forestay by just cutting a little off the top of the foil?? If you
could cut just enough to bring it away from the mast but not so much
that the top fitting would bear on the wire (which is abrasive), seems
it would be easier than adding a shackle that you might have to worry
about.





Good luck,





Rick


M-17 #633


Lynne L



 






-----Original Message-----

From: Louis Aliotta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To: [email protected]

Sent: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 9:39 pm

Subject: M_Boats: M-15 CDI furler installation...



  
    I installed a CDI furler on my boat over the weekend.  I was dissappointed 
after   the first day, since the upper part of the furler hit against the mast 
and the   foot of the luff didn't fit into the lower part of the guide track.  
After   sleeping on it, I decided to use an elongated shackle to bring the head 
of the   unit out from the mast enough to clear it.  I think the shackle will 
work well,   but I must be sure to tighten it well before each use, just to be 
sure it   doesn't work loose.  I will keep a close eye on it for awhile!  This 
also meant   that I had to open the furling unit and adjust the turnbuckle to 
compensate for   the length of the extra shackle at the top.    After 
accomplishing that task I decided that I would have to cut the lower part   of 
the cording in the luff so the lower part of the luff could be inserted into   
the lower part of the luff track and also to allow the groumet to be easily   
fastened to the downhaul on the turning drum.  I may have to have alittle   
stitching done on the luff foot and perhaps even have it shortened alittle so I 
  can down haul better. I believe it will work well even without the last two   
procedures.    I did manage to avoid installing fairleads to guide the 
retractor line.  I just   used one pulley block and conected it to the eye for 
the lower safety line on my   bow rail. The boat is so short that it only needs 
to be cleated off on the cleat   that already exists on the cockpit gunwall.    
  I don't know if this will be helpful for anyone installing a furler, but I 
had a   furler on my last boat and I'm sure it will be well worth having again 
despite   the the pitfalls of installing it.    "Still The One"    Lou Aliotta  
    _______________________________________________  
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats    
   

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to