Shlomi Fish wrote:

<snip/>

The reason is that "post-modern" tends to have very bad connotations in art and philosophy, outside the narrow context of Larry Wall's presentation "Perl, the first post-modern language", which even many Perl programmers are not familiar with, and may give people who are first introduced to the topic the wrong idea. On the other hand saying that Moose is a *modern* Object System will normally immediately give people the right idea.

It's certainly true that, 50 years on, there are still those who still wish that post-modernism and the second half of the 20th century never happened-- that they could simply go back to slapping a capital T on the truths of their particular philosophy and call it a day. Unfortunately for them, there's a galactic-sized whack of evidence spanning every discipline from neurobiology to epistemology that, indeed, context matters and even the hoariest truths are only True insofar as we agree that they are.

Yes, these realities make ultra-traditionalists have a sad; and, yes, the rest of the World, myself included, is OK with that.

I know that it's cute to call Moose the "post-modern OOP system" but it may either make people wonder what the hell we mean, or may even give the wrong impression, so I suggest we drop it.

Sorry, but the post-modern descriptor isn't simply a "cute" bit of Moose branding, it explicitly and aptly describes the practical metaprogramming extensions that Moose brings to Perl.

-kip