On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Heiko Jansen <heiko_jan...@web.de> wrote:

> first - but the mentioning of "compile time" leaves me wondering how it would
> be possible to parse MODS records at runtime whose versions I don't know
> beforehand (or even how to deal with MODS records in different versions in a
> longer running process)?

I'd take a look at the test suite for XML::Toolkit and PRANG. I know
the first one does dynamic schema detection and then document loading
at runtime as part of the test suite to make sure that it can round
trip XML documents so that they're equivalent. Again you lose static
Validation this way (unless you adopt another of the solutions in this
thread for dynamically detecting the schema-version at runtime), but
it does exactly what you describe here :)

-Chris